PsychOUT 2011 in NYC, June 20-21Submitted by sleepingbuffalo on Sun, 06/19/2011 - 6:09pm
Hi NYC and beyond,
Monday, look for NYC Icarus members at psychOUT 2011: A conference for organizing resistance against psychiatry.
It's free to attend, though pre-registration is recommended.
June 20 & 21, 2011
Graduate Center, City University of New York
365 Fifth Avenue
34 Street & 5th Avenue
* Sunday June 19, 2-10 pm A pre-conference direct action: a demonstration and vigil in remembrance of Esmin Green at the Kings County Hospital Center psychiatric emergency room, 410 Winthrop Street in Brooklyn.
* Jonah Bossewitch of the Northeast Icarus Radical Organizing Collective (NEIROC) will present on Pediatric Bipolar and Media on Monday at 2 pm.
* A screening of Ken Paul Rosenthal's poetic documentary Crooked Beauty Monday at 6 pm, followed by a discussion with the filmmaker.
* Robert Whitaker, author of Mad in America and Anatomy of an Epidemic, speaks at 10:15 am Tuesday.
* James (Jim) B. Gottstein, Esq., PsychRights Strategic Approach to End Psychiatric Oppression, 2pm Tuesday.
From the organizers:
The purpose of this global conference is to provide a forum for psychiatric survivors, mad people, activists, radical professionals, artists, scholars and students from around the world to come together and share experiences of organizing against psychiatry.
Download the full program here: http://www.theopalproject.org/psychout.html