It is currently Sep 22, 2017 4:12 am

Tapering Meds w/ Minimal Dosage

Tapering Meds w/ Minimal Dosage

Postby radioinmyhead » Oct 04, 2014 8:57 am

Hello everyone,

There's something on my mind lately... it's been buggin me because of a conversation with a p-med a while ago.

If someone were prescribed a neuroleptic (one of the cocktail combination) with a dosage of 2mg... how practical is it to taper off with something that starts off with 2mg?

Isn't that like saying, well, I'll start with 5% of 2mg for 8 months (<==arbitrary conjecture), and then after that, I'll do 10% for another 8 months... totaling a projected 160 months (or 13 years and 4 months) to wean off 2mg of what have you...

This is what a p-med indicated what he would do... how f-d up is that?

Input, anyone? Please?
Further the scientific progress, deeper the tunnel vision.
radioinmyhead

Re: Tapering Meds w/ Minimal Dosage

Postby FarAway » Dec 21, 2014 12:19 pm

What's a p-med, psychiatrist?

8 months of each does sound a bit extreme, might be needed in extreme cases (eg if dose reduction brought unwanted strong side-effects and you'd go back to the higher dose, someone said she stayed at that dose for almost a year then....)
My psychiatrist had me taper at about 3-month intervals (that's how often I see her), if I remember it right, the Harm Reduction Guide speaks of 10% reduction and staying per 1 month at one dosage or so... (I've gone more quickly and had apparently good luck then too, and I've gone slower too... Depends on the med and its half life somewhat too)
One might wanna research own med, its half life, and how others have come off it...
FarAway

Re: Tapering Meds w/ Minimal Dosage

Postby radioinmyhead » Dec 22, 2014 11:30 am

"p-med": psychiatric medication

What I've read is that for every year you've been on a medication, give it one month at 10%... 3 months seems pretty quick. I hope you haven't had any long-term side effect. (not to scare you, but just letting you know).

You seem to have a very good journey with withdrawal, from what I can tell.
Further the scientific progress, deeper the tunnel vision.
radioinmyhead

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely