It is currently Sep 22, 2017 3:52 am

Getting off Clozapine

Getting off Clozapine

Postby philipricsano » Sep 03, 2014 6:47 am

I'm on Clozapine for last 7 years.
I had been trying to come off it as it's giving me horrible side effects. I used to sleep 14 hours a day, get seizures during sleep, extreme dryness all over, memory problems, fatigue all day, postural hypotension, constipation, infections, my wbc count was reduced, gained weight, had become prediabetic.
I was started with 100 mg OD during night time.
Came off till 75mg 3 years ago. Stayed on that dose and then last year i started tapering further as the side effects were still there. I was doing 10% of dose reduction per two week. I came off directly from 6.5mg to 0 in October last year but the last taper was rather too quick(2weeks) and I started getting withdrawal effects like insomnia, jelly legs, sweating and restlessness so had to take Valium and again started clozapine with 12.5mg(the minimum dose used to initiate treatment) after 3 days.

So now I'm on 12.5 mg clozapine since last year. But still I get these side effects like fatigue, dryness, some memory issues. I think if I stay long enough on this drug it might create dependence and it'd be very difficult for me to stop it in case I start getting serious issues because of it.
I'm not on any other drug right now. Does anybody know how to come off clozapine? Or anyone who had been on it for a long time and came off it successfully without replacing it with other neuroleptics and is now drugfree off clozapine for more than a year? I read it's very difficult to come off clozapine. This drug has made my life hell. But I'm not losing hope. If anybody knows anything anyone coming off clozapine please help.
<p>I Respect Everything That Gives Me Goosebumps./././. -Philip Ricsano</p>
philipricsano

Re: Getting off Clozapine

Postby Dave-o » Jan 11, 2015 6:41 pm

Well, I've been trying to come off of invega. I've been on it for 5 years, and the last year 3 mg/night. I tried to cold turkey, but it gave me severe insomnia. I got back on 3 mg and stabilized. So, about a month later I got a prescription to 1.5 mg/night, and the first night trying it got insomnia still. I had a rough 3 weeks trying to get back stabilized on 3 mg/night. So far, the last two nights I was able to sleep pretty well w/o any sleep aids like valium. I usually have to take 10 mg valium when I do take it. How much would u take? I know it's possible for me to completely get off this drug b/c I've done it before. I went down to 1.5 from 3, and had pretty scary vivid images for one night, but they went away. After that, I was stabilized on 1.5 for 10 months. Then, I took it every other day for about 2-4 weeks, then nothing for about a month until I had another episode. Since then, I was able to talk about why I was/am always paranoid about stuff, and think that I could overcome my paranoia w/o meds if I have enough support/psychotherapy. It's just hard b/c of having a job, and also that they don't make any other dosages besides 1.5, 3, 6, 9. That makes it entirely way too difficult in tapering. I'm assuming that I'll either have to take the monthly shot equivalent to 3 mg, then lower it gradually OR switch to risperdal and try to ween down on those pills. I've weened down from 6 to 3 to 1.5 to nothing after about 2-3 years being on it w/o insomnia so I should be able to do it using one of the methods I mentioned. If you know of any other way, I'd appreciate w/e advice u can come up with. Good luck.
Dave-o

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely