It is currently Sep 23, 2017 10:58 pm

Cutting seroquel cold

Cutting seroquel cold

Postby Raining Frog » Apr 29, 2014 7:44 pm

Does anyone here have any experience with stopping seroquel either cold or very quickly over the course of less than a month? I hate the weight gain with this drug. I have been on it for a long time, and whenever I try to even reduce it now I get insomnia. I'm starting to wonder whether cutting seroquel cold is the best option to get off of it. I have a strong feeling that it could make me insomniac for a long time or make me more psychotic, from my experiences with trying to reduce quickly before. But I just almost prefer to pretty much cut it cold and deal with the withdrawals then finally have it out of my system. Is this extremely unsafe, or an okay option?
Raining Frog

Re: Cutting seroquel cold

Postby FLJ13 » May 25, 2014 11:45 am

Raining Frog wrote:Does anyone here have any experience with stopping seroquel either cold or very quickly over the course of less than a month? I hate the weight gain with this drug. I have been on it for a long time, and whenever I try to even reduce it now I get insomnia. I'm starting to wonder whether cutting seroquel cold is the best option to get off of it. I have a strong feeling that it could make me insomniac for a long time or make me more psychotic, from my experiences with trying to reduce quickly before. But I just almost prefer to pretty much cut it cold and deal with the withdrawals then finally have it out of my system. Is this extremely unsafe, or an okay option?

Yes yes. what happened , if i may ask? are you doing ok? i believe i've seen you around...
My money's on the dark horse with the crazy in his eyes.
FLJ13

Postby Raining Frog » May 25, 2014 5:41 pm

I've been on this drug for years. Whenever I try to even reduce it these days I get horrible insomnia and anxiety. When I tried to go off of it completely last, I felt better for some time and lost weight but ended up having a total breakdown due to the constant insomnia that I was encountering and ended up making an attempt on my life. What a horrible drug. I didn't know until a few years ago that it could cause diabetes and other serious health problems.

I can't get sedatives or anti-anxiety meds from my psychiatrist which I think would help with the withdrawals. I was thinking instead of trying the supplements from TRB health which are supposed to help with this kind of withdrawal.
Cutting cold...maybe not a good idea, but I've found prolonging it doesn't seem to be a very good option either if I could get over the initial heavy withdrawals maybe cutting cold is the way to go.

I'm not really doing very well lately at all. I put on a facade around most people who asks how I am doing because I don't want to bum them out or burden them with what is getting me down OR deal with the insensitive type comments or attitudes of disappointment I've encountered where the person doesn't know how to react to "I'm having a really bad day".

I'm not sure if I've met you. Are you from Wisconsin?
Raining Frog

Postby vernedavis23 » May 25, 2014 6:10 pm

First question - which is the obvious one - WHY will your psychiatrist not prescribe anything to help you with the withdrawals from this medication? My guess is that he/she does not agree with this decision, perhaps?
Second obvious question - WHY does your psychiatrist disagree so strongly with this decision that they are not willing to assist you with it?
Third obvious question - Do you have a GP that can overrule your psychiatrist's refusal to prescribe you something that can make this transition any easier?
Going 'cold turkey' off a serious medication is almost always a bad idea. While your 'spirit' may be ready for the transition, your 'spirit' will always be affected by the state of your physical being. For example - I don't care how 'strong-willed' you might be, a night of doing tequila shots will still make you a dangerous driver! I would suggest that the same holds true for any pharmaceutical drugs any of us are taking. One cannot make a decision that one is 'ready to drive' until such time as that metaphorical tequila is out of our system, you know?
I don't know If I am making any sense, here... but I think the sensible thing to do is to 'wean' yourself off of this med rather than to get all 'Rambo' and decide to 'suck it up' and go cold turkey. Don't let your 'pride' be the precedent for some sort of cliché 'fall'.
Of course, I could just be full of crap....
Be well...
Verne
vernedavis23

Postby FLJ13 » May 25, 2014 7:04 pm

Raining Frog wrote:I've been on this drug for years. Whenever I try to even reduce it these days I get horrible insomnia and anxiety. When I tried to go off of it completely last, I felt better for some time and lost weight but ended up having a total breakdown due to the constant insomnia that I was encountering and ended up making an attempt on my life. What a horrible drug. I didn't know until a few years ago that it could cause diabetes and other serious health problems.

I can't get sedatives or anti-anxiety meds from my psychiatrist which I think would help with the withdrawals. I was thinking instead of trying the supplements from TRB health which are supposed to help with this kind of withdrawal.
Cutting cold...maybe not a good idea, but I've found prolonging it doesn't seem to be a very good option either if I could get over the initial heavy withdrawals maybe cutting cold is the way to go.

I'm not really doing very well lately at all. I put on a facade around most people who asks how I am doing because I don't want to bum them out or burden them with what is getting me down OR deal with the insensitive type comments or attitudes of disappointment I've encountered where the person doesn't know how to react to "I'm having a really bad day".

I'm not sure if I've met you. Are you from Wisconsin?

"Caution" NO preachy worry-wart fuckin shit here (SICK TO DEATH OF HEARING IT FROM KNOW-KNOTHINGS about my own exp)
I've been on and off of it mixed with other Rxs, but never had a dose as high as 600mgs as I was on, and was miserable with daily crippling anxiety attacks, agoraphobia it eventually caused - I fucking wanted to kill myself last year because of it, planned it all, and now after barely one week, a turnaround. No anxiety attack the following day or all week.
Sleep is about the same, except for the waking up at 4ish continues. I've been able to get to sleep if the cat isn't the one that woke me, poking me in the eye, forgetting she has fucking claws, dingbat. I got up this morning - her fault.
My husband pissed me off and went back to bed, so that was the last kick I needed to finally try to push myself outside. Probably too early, but I made it a block away and stayed.
Other crap I take is all generic 450mg wellbutrin ( know can cause anxiety), which I've been on since I can't remember, as well as clonazepam (4mg thru' the whole day) 40mg prozac, 150mg topomax. Dx'd with BPII, GAD, PTSD.
I know how the put on face thing goes. I used to do it until I couldn't anymore. Now I just avoid people, 'cause I was always feeling like shit. From now on, it will depend on my mood and control, I guess. I'm never around other people but my husband anyway.
Can't your shrink give you different meds or go in hospital/stay home for transition? Or get a different shrink? How much and what all were you taking, if I may ask?
In my whole time with my shrink that gives me meds, if I can't take something, have bad reactions, or enough is enough, he has always been right there, immediately ready to try something else, or suggest/talk about generics to save me money, talk new ones, and we're talking something new on Tue for sure. I didn't let him know how badly I was suffering, really, because, to me it's weak, and I fucked up, but no more. I got stupid. Don't know what I was thinking.
Oh, I'm on the W coast, btw. Good to meet you.
Last edited by FLJ13 on May 25, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLJ13

Postby _._ » May 25, 2014 8:38 pm

Last edited by _._ on Sep 24, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_._

Postby Raining Frog » May 25, 2014 10:18 pm

vernedavis
They don't like to help take me off because I tried once before and attempted suicide from it.
The psych doctor acts like I need to be on this shit for my life because of my suicide attempt history.

I got a new doc who may be a little better than my last corrupt cop, but I haven't seen enough of her to know yet. They're so for anti-psychotic anyway. they say stuff like "well you have a schizoeffective diagnosis so we think you should be on an anti- psychotic"

Next time I go in a few days I plan to tell her that I really want to go off of this medication (and not on another one that's like it) and see what she says. even tell her that I am planning to go off anyway so would she be willing to prescribe ambien or an anxiety med to help out with the withdrawals?

Well my drug is not the extended release, and I have used pill cutters before...they don't tend to like to prescribe the smaller pills either...
I've had bad luck with doctors helping me go off, I agree noparticular, and it's not like I am on a court order or anything...
but the 6 week mark sounds interesting...I would not be completely opposed to trying it now that I know to expect to feel absolutely different and have strong mood swings and lack of sleep for a good portion of time if not longer...so that I can adapt to it somehow.
Melatonin has been weird for me, and benadryl is ok short term but not long term- I'm thinking passionflower may be good?
And maybe I should not write off the melatonin completely.

Interesting FLJ13, you think it's worse being on it? I think I may agree. I thought in a lot of ways I did better on 200 mg over the current 400 mg I am on. Or even that that and my other two medications which I haven't been on for too long are just making things worse. I might want to go off of all three of them to get out from under these bastards.
I don't even know I'm on wellbutrin 300 mg too, and hydroxyzine as needed for anxiety up to 6 times a day. Plus daily 8 mg tizanidine (a muscle relaxant) for pain...
and I'm still ridiculous because I drink alcohol even though I know it's potentially dangerous...the stuff just isn't working in general.
My diagnoseses are pretty similar to yours I think- GAD, schizo-effective.

Might as well be off it.

There's a shortage of psychiatrists in town, so I don't know how easy it would be to get another one, and all the ones that are known to be good, like open to suggestion and decreasing medication, are not accepting patients, so?
I'm done with the hospital perhaps for good, but when I had my other psychiatrist I felt like I had to go in for transition...but I don't trust them because they have the power to institutionalize me, and some people there are harassing in nature.

Good to meet you all-
and thank you for the responses.
Raining Frog

Postby FLJ13 » May 25, 2014 11:45 pm

Raining Frog wrote:vernedavis
They don't like to help take me off because I tried once before and attempted suicide from it.
The psych doctor acts like I need to be on this shit for my life because of my suicide attempt history.

I got a new doc who may be a little better than my last corrupt cop, but I haven't seen enough of her to know yet. They're so for anti-psychotic anyway. they say stuff like "well you have a schizoeffective diagnosis so we think you should be on an anti- psychotic"

Next time I go in a few days I plan to tell her that I really want to go off of this medication (and not on another one that's like it) and see what she says. even tell her that I am planning to go off anyway so would she be willing to prescribe ambien or an anxiety med to help out with the withdrawals?

Well my drug is not the extended release, and I have used pill cutters before...they don't tend to like to prescribe the smaller pills either...
I've had bad luck with doctors helping me go off, I agree noparticular, and it's not like I am on a court order or anything...
but the 6 week mark sounds interesting...I would not be completely opposed to trying it now that I know to expect to feel absolutely different and have strong mood swings and lack of sleep for a good portion of time if not longer...so that I can adapt to it somehow.
Melatonin has been weird for me, and benadryl is ok short term but not long term- I'm thinking passionflower may be good?
And maybe I should not write off the melatonin completely.

Interesting FLJ13, you think it's worse being on it? I think I may agree. I thought in a lot of ways I did better on 200 mg over the current 400 mg I am on. Or even that that and my other two medications which I haven't been on for too long are just making things worse. I might want to go off of all three of them to get out from under these bastards.
I don't even know I'm on wellbutrin 300 mg too, and hydroxyzine as needed for anxiety up to 6 times a day. Plus daily 8 mg tizanidine (a muscle relaxant) for pain...
and I'm still ridiculous because I drink alcohol even though I know it's potentially dangerous...the stuff just isn't working in general.
My diagnoseses are pretty similar to yours I think- GAD, schizo-effective.

Might as well be off it.

There's a shortage of psychiatrists in town, so I don't know how easy it would be to get another one, and all the ones that are known to be good, like open to suggestion and decreasing medication, are not accepting patients, so?
I'm done with the hospital perhaps for good, but when I had my other psychiatrist I felt like I had to go in for transition...but I don't trust them because they have the power to institutionalize me, and some people there are harassing in nature.

Good to meet you all-
and thank you for the responses.

Seroquel is one of the worst drugs I have ever taken, and have only done out of desperation. Mine wasn't the extended release either. Big pill of 400 at night, half a pill I had 2 cut into 4 that eventually made things worse. You've got to put on a straight face, and tell them just how horrible the shit they are giving you is making you feel, and like you said, you're not going to allow them to treat you badly, forcing things on you, when THEY work for YOU. They need to be told to give you options, not orders! Try and prepare, breathe, concentrate, practice telling them what you need, not what THEY need. Bad psychiatrists giving no options really fucking pisses me the fuck off...

I do NOT believe that antipsychotics, atypical antipsychotics, antidepressants, "mood stabilizers", anti-anxiety meds etc were NOT made to be taken long term. That these fuckers don't know or seem to care about long term effects, that we've got to stop taking these long-term and switch if needed. No, I'm not a psychopharmachologist, just a person that's been on so many meds, sick from them, tripped from them, all sorts of shit. They needed more research before they ever came out but too much money is to be made, isn't it.
FLJ13

Postby Raining Frog » May 26, 2014 1:05 am

Seroquel is definitely not a good drug for me (or probably just about anyone), but it's the only one in it's class I've taken that I can even sort of tolerate. I don't feel horribly physically ill on it, and it doesn't make me feel like a zombie, but yeah, I'm afraid of TD, developing diabetes, alcohol interactions, weight gain, dental problems due to dry mouth, and why does my immune system seem so low?
Enough scary possibilities here.
Yah I'm kind of afraid of the psychiatrists, there have been some pretty bad, intensely authoritarian and unprofessional ones... so telling them you won't accept shit (unfortunately she seems soo nice which I'm starting to think is a mind trick they like to play on you to encourage you to respect and obey them) seems like something I would not do, but maybe I should...
Docs and pdocs here mostly seem fascist in nature...and they don't always tell the full truth about side effects
so...yeah long term seems to be what they want, create dependence to fill pockets with cash, and keep people like us in control. I think I'll take your advice and be firm knowing what I will say to them...if I still hit the same brick wall, it's either go to a new doc or do it on my own again,of which I think I probably have a better plan this time around.
Raining Frog

Postby FLJ13 » Jun 01, 2014 7:13 pm

Raining Frog wrote:Seroquel is definitely not a good drug for me (or probably just about anyone), but it's the only one in it's class I've taken that I can even sort of tolerate. I don't feel horribly physically ill on it, and it doesn't make me feel like a zombie, but yeah, I'm afraid of TD, developing diabetes, alcohol interactions, weight gain, dental problems due to dry mouth, and why does my immune system seem so low?
Enough scary possibilities here.
Yah I'm kind of afraid of the psychiatrists, there have been some pretty bad, intensely authoritarian and unprofessional ones... so telling them you won't accept shit (unfortunately she seems soo nice which I'm starting to think is a mind trick they like to play on you to encourage you to respect and obey them) seems like something I would not do, but maybe I should...
Docs and pdocs here mostly seem fascist in nature...and they don't always tell the full truth about side effects
so...yeah long term seems to be what they want, create dependence to fill pockets with cash, and keep people like us in control. I think I'll take your advice and be firm knowing what I will say to them...if I still hit the same brick wall, it's either go to a new doc or do it on my own again,of which I think I probably have a better plan this time around.

There are some shrinks out there with huge heads, some twisted ones that assume you're trying to manipulate them if you don't act submissive or silent, so they turn on their acts. Some play Kindergarten Leader, some play Hitler. Is there someone you can bring with you to help stand up to/advocate for you, or even be by your side to maybe make you feel stronger/more confident? They don't get into the side effects because there are too many for them to even remember for each crazy med they Rx. I would demand a list of all the side effects of the meds from the Rxs they give you, though they might make you get them from the drugstore or wherever you get your Rxs. Not all of the meds shrinks are evil. I won the damn lottery though. I can't say the same about regular Drs, GPs, psychologists. I haven't had a regular one in a very long time because I don't want them getting in the way of my psychiatrist's business, but that can probably be worked out, just not easy.
Long term is what some want, I think, so they don't have to really take care of you, monitor you, figure out what's working and what's not working, but that's not what all Drs want, including my med shrink. He wants me to get a regular Dr, take better care of myself and all that stuff. We'll see when the other bills come in from the psychologists I fired. Good luck to you, and strength!
FLJ13

Postby Raining Frog » Jun 02, 2014 5:11 pm

FLJ13 said-
Some play Kindergarten Leader, some play Hitler

Same fascist act as far as I'm concerned. Treating us like we are not worthy of reasonable treatment.

Is there someone you can bring with you to help stand up to/advocate for you, or even be by your side to maybe make you feel stronger/more confident?

There may be. If I decide to go alone though, I think I'll just lay down my law with them right away and see how they respond to it. If it's not good I'll have to look for a new one if nothing else, until I can somehow get off of this stuff successfully.

I would demand a list of all the side effects of the meds from the Rxs they give you, though they might make you get them from the drugstore or wherever you get your Rxs.

Luckily I can get them from the drug store or online, but I think it's completely reasonable to ask them too, if for no other reason you will find out if they are omitting important information from you when you compare what they say to a full list of known side effects :(

Thanks...and good luck.
Raining Frog

Postby FLJ13 » Jun 02, 2014 7:21 pm

Thank you, and much much luck to you too! Stay safe. :)
FLJ13

Postby lunaslayer » Jun 16, 2014 11:29 pm

How is it going? It took me four month to get off sequel completely I originally was on three pill I don't remember the dosage. I did not try any else to help me get off but I kind naive when it come to my health. Sounds like those thing others listed would of made it easier. I believe I took away a half pill every two week. I try to go faster then that but I keep get sick or could not sleep.
I hope all is well for you!
<p>hi</p>
lunaslayer

Postby Raining Frog » Jun 17, 2014 10:00 pm

Heya, I still haven't started yet. My psych doctor actually gave me the go-ahead to try to go off of it at a rate of 50 mg a month- that will take 8 months to do if successful. I'm hoping it will work this time.
Raining Frog

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely