It is currently Sep 23, 2017 11:12 pm

Next Step to Quit Risperidone

Next Step to Quit Risperidone

Postby Govs » Jan 08, 2014 2:32 pm

This is the second time I'm trying to quit risperidone, the firsrt time I just stop taking the medication and I didn't know about whitdrawals effects, so after one week of stop taking the medication I got insomnia,i went back to my 3mg of risperidone daily,but after one month I decided to quit,first I reduce to 2mg for three weeks,then 1mg for another three weeks, no big changes result from my initial dose I was still feeling the same, like a zombie. My next step was disolve the tablet into water, because i was not able to cut it any further, i didn't know if this was going to be effective, i think you call it titraiton;know I'm taking approximatly 2/3 mg daily (like 666 mcg) and finally I'm starting to feel a little better,I want to be even better but I don't know what to do, the doctors says I need the meds, that I have schizophrenic disorder and I need it, my family is even more worry they fear I'm end up lost in the streets and homeless. The main motivation for me is that i have found that many schizoprenic people do good without meds and that makes me think I can have the whole package, no having psycosis and no having meds.
Govs

Re: Next Step to Quit Risperidone

Postby burkowitz » Jan 09, 2014 2:01 pm

I am tapering down off risperidone.. I have been going really slow though, sometimes staying at the same dosage for as long as two months or more at a time. I'm coming down to 0.25 right now. I think once you start reducing lower than 1mg and more in the area of 0.5mg you notice more of that desired effect of "your old personality coming back" but I am also conscious of the fact that the mind/spirit/soul is a holistic system that is not ruled just by what kind of drugs or nutrients you choose to feed it. I think where you are at in how you think about yourself and your life probably plays a big role. There are a lot of factors probably. I recommend meditating and learning to have some patience regarding this process.. don't be in a huge rush to get to this desired drug free state of mind/state of being. Take your time, go slow! that is the general rule of thumb.
burkowitz

Postby yellowrose » Jan 09, 2014 3:04 pm

burkowitz wrote:I am tapering down off risperidone.. I have been going really slow though, sometimes staying at the same dosage for as long as two months or more at a time. I'm coming down to 0.25 right now. I think once you start reducing lower than 1mg and more in the area of 0.5mg you notice more of that desired effect of "your old personality coming back" but I am also conscious of the fact that the mind/spirit/soul is a holistic system that is not ruled just by what kind of drugs or nutrients you choose to feed it. I think where you are at in how you think about yourself and your life probably plays a big role. There are a lot of factors probably. I recommend meditating and learning to have some patience regarding this process.. don't be in a huge rush to get to this desired drug free state of mind/state of being. Take your time, go slow! that is the general rule of thumb.

Hi Govs, hi Burkowitz

I would echo Burkowitz sentiments about going slow and trusting the process. To be honest I think I need to do that with a lot of areas of my life at the moment like my career and travel goals too. I have been on meds since around 2001 and from around 2004 to 2007 I had tapered off all anti-psychotics and was just on Lithium but my partner reports that in that time I was a bit kind of, not crazy but I would go off at tangents all the time and have really bad depressions that lasted for weeks and he had to talk me out of it.

Ive been intending to reduce the Riserdal for around a few years now but I didn't do it in 2012 because I was scheduled to make a documentary in Japan in May but now that I have reduced by I guess .25 of a mg I am kinding of asking 'what was I worried about'? I feel a bit better maybe slightly moodier but then its only been about a week.

I dont feel the drug makes me a zombie...only sleepy and tired.

I'm planning to stick at this dose a fair while before changing again. I could do with buying a scale so I can make my cutting more accurate.

I found the website of this healer in London today and found it interesting:-
http://www.amygarner.co.uk/
Taoist master in training ------ www.liamartist.blogspot.co.uk
yellowrose

Postby Govs » Jan 13, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi burkowits and yellowrose, I appreciate your advice on tapering Risperidone,actually I'm planning to reduce my dose slower.
Govs

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely