Postby Khalsa44 » Dec 23, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi

I am doing a very slow taper

I'm on serequel 97mg
Lithium 1000mg
Invega 3mg

I'm coming off the serequel over 1.5 years, then others
This is my 7th attempt coming off
I want to be successful and live a life of wellness now!

Has any one come off really slowly
I'd love to hear any positive success stories or stories of okayness
Blessings and miracles to you
Khalsa44

Re: Have u done a very slow taper?

Postby Khalsa44 » Dec 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi
I need to keep reminding myself this is the best way for me, it feels intuitively right.

Everytime I feel bad I want to reduce

Yet I want to come off successfully this time and I'm very sensitive to the process

Has anyone found a very slow taper works for you?

Thanks for hearing me

Good luck to you on your journey
Khalsa44

Postby Ana Pascal » Dec 25, 2013 5:31 pm

I tapered off of almost everything with the help of my doctor. It was his idea, actually, I went to a new doctor and he said that I needed to come off the drugs I was on. So we worked on it over a 2 year period. My therapist was supportive too.
"Anarchists have a group? They assemble?" - Ana Pascal in "Stranger Than Fiction"
Ana Pascal

Postby Khalsa44 » Dec 26, 2013 12:57 am

Hi Ana
What did it feel like for you to come off over 2 years? What skills or resources did u find helpful? Is there anything that helped you on your journey?

Peace to you
Khalsa
Khalsa44

Postby Ana Pascal » Dec 28, 2013 12:59 am

Spirituality helped....

I would go off a pill and then something would happen and life would get all screwy. But, I wasn't really illness focused at the time so I didn't think about the pills. Instead, I kept asking myself what God was inviting me too. I had three minor breakdowns that led to breakthroughs -

The first, I had been gas-lit and the first breakdown almost took my life, but after that, I got my soul back and knew who I was again.

The second breakdown/breakthrough - I realized that my whole suicidal self-concept came from a childhood truama - and was able to put that away forever

The second breakdown/breakthough - I realized that I can't keep getting abused, that it's time to stand up and say no.

All those breakdown/breakthroughs were awful. Just terrible. But I AM a better stronger person for having gone through that. So, for me accepting that the process would be horrible, but knowing that I was being led to a better way of knowing myself helped me get through it.

I don't have a job though, and don't know if I would have been able to keep one through that. No kids either.

I feel like I am on the other side of some major transformation.

- It helped to have faith. (I'm not saying that religion will cure you, or that only people who believe will be transformed, that's bullshit, what I am saying that an innate faith in my own ability to heal was necessary.

- Getting off sugar was part of this process. (I'm back on sugar now, but I know I need to get off of it)

- Accupuncture is helping me now

- Having an awesome medical/mental health team was a life-saver. Seriously. If you are looking for one piece of advice, I would say go find yourself a doctor who supports your goals. They will take you off and if there is a hiccup on the way, they won't keep you on forever. Mad in America has a database of doctors, I think.

- Exercise helped. Specifically I do believe that swimming helped with hippocampual neurogenisis.

- Understanding hippocampulal neurogensis and being able to apply it to myself helped. Your brain can heal - google it.

- Meditation

- Taking things day to day and not judging myself. Allowing myself to observe myself without judgement was amazing for my whole "recovery". Saying, I am low energy today so I will fold laundry or I am high energy today, so I will paint and exercise. Instead of "I am depressed, how do I stop or I am manic how do I stop" was so important to me.

- I was pretty isolated - which was hard - but ultimately I think good as alot of my journey was about "finding myself". I don't know if I would have been able to do this if I was trying to deal with other people as I did it. (But isolation was nearly deadly too at the beginning.)

Good luck to you! Have you read the harm reduction guide?
"Anarchists have a group? They assemble?" - Ana Pascal in "Stranger Than Fiction"
Ana Pascal

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Dec 28, 2013 6:07 am

Started med reduction late may 2012. Went cold turkey on adderal XR 20mg that month. Got off of risperdal starting dose 3mg over 15 months (many months had no taper was being overly cautious after upheaval in my life due to being abused). Tapering too fast at the beginning meant months of hell after a taper. I found very small steady tapers were key. At one point I made a goal to get off a quart mg in a month. I was literally tapering like .009 mg a day through water titration. At the end of my taper I was mostly tapering by a sixteenth of a mg a day - I went from in the beginning horrendous months of withdrawal with horrible suicidality mood swings some visions paranoia etc to slow steady withdraw causing only slight temporary increase in PTSD and insomnia (the insomnia really bad at the end). I've been working on Lamictal now since September. Started 250. Dropped 25 last winter and between septet and November dropped 75mg down to around 150. A lot of upheaval in my life. Problems with Lamictal taper for me have been severe severe cognitive and memory issues as well as a horrible return of pms. I cannot tell if mood swings is related to the meds or not because my life is a wreck with so much abuse and bullshit I think if feel this way anyway- but I can tell you the meds I've gotten off so far over all have dramatically improved my life- romantic interests again, some creativity and spontaneity coming back, was able to make huge gains in treating past trauma I never thought would happen, was able to make
Peace with my body for a while, overall without the horrible triggers of abuse I'm less suicidal overall happier so glad I'm on this journey . I must take it slow I have severe severe PTSD
From being tortured in multiple psych hospitals- I can never risk hospitalization or arrest although it's been through the luck of finding a decent therapist and having local support that's helped. Acupuncture and prayer is helpful. Being in the sun is crucial. My dog is great for me. Being involved in activism is very important to me. Taking care of physical vulnerabilities like getting my chronic pain treated, fixing my sleep etc is very important. Taking Curcumin has been very important for me as a supplement for depression. I may need to pause the Lamictal taper to start tapering my Luvox CR 100mg which I have roughly 3 months to accomplish if I don't want to have to find a new psyhoatrist which I don't. I was prescribed it for OCD. I fully expect the withdrawal will be physical hell- it has the shortest half life of any ssri- when I got off of Effexor XR was the first time I hallucinated in my life horrible tremors sweats chills and hotflashes nauseous felt like I was dying. Since that starts happening just when I miss taking the Luvox dose for a few hours i know I'm in trouble. There is a coming off psych meds group that's going to start having phone or skype meetings I can send you that info you may also be interested in trying to start a coming off meds group in your area. One has been started by Laura Delano in Massachusetts that I know of- or if you have another local mad pride group that's always good for support or do the Sunday weekly Icarus call ins- I'd also love to stay in touch for med reduction support. You're not alone

I'm planning to get off the Luvox and Lamictal by the end of 2014 at the latest. I'm also on 4 mg Prazosin for nightmares- I'll try to taper but I may leave it. I also take Benzos as needed only klonopin or Xanax so it won't be a withdrawal or taper - I want to keep that emergency resource if possible with hopes of building other coping skills. Mad love
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby Khalsa44 » Dec 29, 2013 11:48 pm

Thanks Ana and objectsinmirrors for your words, I appreciate them

Objectsinmirrors I'd love to be part of a Skype group, I'm in Sydney, Australia and we don't have any groups here.
Thanks for your support!

I am keeping my mind deeply focused in peace and allowing all action to flow from here.

Love Khalsa
Khalsa44

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely