It is currently Sep 21, 2017 8:17 am

Is Grinding a Pill Dangerous?

Is Grinding a Pill Dangerous?

Postby sunbear » Sep 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi all!
I have been going off of Lamictal since last October and am down from 200mg to 50 mg. I want to start tapering to less than 50 mg, but need to grind or do water titration to do so accurately. I have looked into both methods and decided that grinding a pill, weighing the mg of chemical/pill and then putting it into a capsule will be the best thing for me to do. When I was discussing this with a buddy however, they mentioned this:

"Actually, I'm not sure if grinding up your pills is a good idea - I thought about it, and it is a way to measure your doses more accurately, but grinding up the pills will greatly increase their surface area, which usually means that the drug is delivered into your system much faster than it would be if you took the pill whole. This may or may not matter, depending on the medication, but that's the kind of thing that I would definitely get medical advice on"

Does anyone have experience with this/suggestions? My lamicatal comes in 200mg tabs and I would be really into continuing to do this reduction safely.

I have a doctor who dispenses this stuff to me via mail order, as I have been on it for four years and they trust that I continue needing it, and mail it to me from across the country. The problem is that they are not into me going off of it, so for the past year I have hidden this reduction. I think I may finally just contact the doctor, tell them the truth and suffer the consequences? I guess it just feels very defeating and frustrating when the person giving you a mind altering substance doesn't create a safe space that allows their client to exercise their autonomy.
sunbear

Re: Is Grinding a Pill Dangerous?

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Sep 04, 2013 1:00 am

Lamictal is NOT a time released medication - therefore yes it is safe to grind it. Some lamictal pills even come with scores in them like mine do which indicates its safe to cut and not ins released. It's never safe to grind or cut time released pills as you may not actually get a portion of the active ingredient or the medication could work all at once. I'm about to taper lamictal too. Also if you can find a doctor who will prescribe multiple smaller dose pills that will obviously make it easier. I'm taking 225 mg in nine 25mg pills and that will make tapering super easy. One reason you could justify the smaller pills is they taste horrible and say you're gagging with the larger pills which is true for many people. I'm tapering lamictal now too! Good luck!
ObjectsInMirrors

Re: Is Grinding a Pill Dangerous?

Postby sunbear » Sep 13, 2013 11:30 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. It made a lot of sense and I feel comfortable grinding and measuring now. I'm about to try 40 mg....
sunbear

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely