It is currently Sep 22, 2017 4:10 am

Water Titration vs Grinding Up and Measuring

Water Titration vs Grinding Up and Measuring

Postby sunbear » Jul 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Hey there,

I have been going off of Lamictal since October 2012. I was on 200 mg for 4 years and now have reduced to .50 mg. I have been on .50 since May 1st and want to go to .40 or .30 mg but cannot cut the pills that accurately/small at this point. I tried it last week for four days and the withdrawal/over-all crappy feeling was too much. I really need to be as gentle as possible at this point. I'm wondering if grinding the Lamictal up then measuring it on a finely calibrated scale (one that can measure like .001 mg or something like that) would be a good idea? The water titration technique sounds a bit expensive for me and confusing. Anyone have any suggestions? I just want to be safe....
sunbear

Re: Water Titration vs Grinding Up and Measuring

Postby silverelf » Jul 18, 2013 4:06 pm

water titration is really easy once you get the hang of it, and less expensive than getting a good scale, but if you want to get a good scale you can find some on amazon for $20-$40 that do good to the .01 level. .001 is really getting precise....

I know a lot of people swear by being super super precise, but honestly unless you are taking it at the exact same time (to the second) every day and eating the exact same things and maintaining the exact same temperature, the rate at which your body converts it to active metabolites and the amount in your blood stream varies anyway. So my advice would me to find a method that seems doable to you, don't sweat over making it so so so precise that you get panicky over whether you are over or under a tiny amount. And then do it as best you can and know that some days will be rough for other reasons as well....

Personally I do the grind and measure right now with klonopin (I have about .24mg left) but I did water titration for many months. Grind and measure seems to be less precise but also less hassle.
Do not spend a lot
of time in an asylum writing cruel poems
if you can help it, one Artaud is enough.
silverelf

Postby maamyyrä » Jul 18, 2013 4:13 pm

i thought that water titration requires previous grinding. can anybody enlighten me?
you can't make grass grow more quickly by pulling on it
maamyyrä

Postby silverelf » Jul 18, 2013 6:09 pm

depends on the pill I suppose...some pills will melt in water without crushing, some pills have to be crushed fine and still stirred and stirred and stirred and even then theres little non water soluble that float there - some people use milk for fat soluble medications, etc etc
Do not spend a lot
of time in an asylum writing cruel poems
if you can help it, one Artaud is enough.
silverelf

Postby maamyyrä » Jul 18, 2013 6:16 pm

why is that more precise? the substance doesn't get equally distributed in the liquid.
you can't make grass grow more quickly by pulling on it
maamyyrä

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Jul 18, 2013 7:37 pm

maamyyrä wrote:why is that more precise? the substance doesn't get equally distributed in the liquid.

I am not arguing that either is more precise but i use a hand blender to suspend the particles in the water then measure and drink immediately
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby sunbear » Jul 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks so much SilverElf. I will be purchasing a scale this week. I feel like it is important to me to do a method that I feel comfortable with, so I'll just do the grinding. Does anyone recommend whether or not I should just put the ground up mg amount in an empty pill capsule (the ones they sell at health stores) or if I should just dump the up amount in water and drink it?
sunbear

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely