It is currently Sep 23, 2017 11:05 pm

polydrug withdrawal

polydrug withdrawal

Postby Penstemon » Jun 23, 2013 5:25 pm

I HAVE A QUESTION REGARDING TAPERING MULTIPLE DRUGS. I UNDERSTAND THAT THE CONCENSUS ON THIS IS ONE DRUG AT A TIME. HOWEVER,I AM AWARE OF OTHER METHODS SUCH AS TAPERING ALL OR MORE THAN ONE DRUG AT A TIME AT A VERY SLOW AND EVEN RATE. I WOULD APPRECIATE FEEDBACK FROM ANYONE THAT HAS ACTUALLY DONE MORE THAN ONE DRUG AT A TIME. HOW DID YOU DO IT ? HOW DID IT GO? ETC.... THANKS MUCH
Penstemon

Re: polydrug withdrawal

Postby - » Jun 23, 2013 8:46 pm

i dont think there is a consensus, it's totally up to you. I have dumped multiple drugs however I feel I have addictions to caffeine sugar junk food sex internet etc so for me personally I know after my experience that if I drop something it becomes like whack a mole and I use something else. In the past year I did a 50% drop on clonapin and seroquel but then i picked up cigarettes bc it was so intense. Also, my life has been unstable for a while but I did this under a dr's supervision/permission. So then I had another episode or psychotic break but that was due to life circumstances, I confronted an abuser, almost lost my home or moved into car, etc I was so suicidally depressed I then doubled my fluoxitine..This year I have gone off and on sugar and caffeine and then back on, I have quit smoking cigarettes in Jan and last week stopped smoking pot. I find if I take a lot of warm baths, exercise is really helpful and I'm also in full time out patient or sought support groups. I've been battling this since high school and on meds since age 19 so at this point I know I cannot be this perfect Stepford wife, eat right do all the right things and I dont think Icarus is a pro or con or do this or do that type of place. I believe its more along the lines as do what makes you feel best and hit this madness from any angle you can without hurting self or others...for me its showing people that there are different options instead of when I was just hook line and sinker on board with do whatever take whatever the MD says and I always questioned this model. I was ready to go in for ECT bc the med journey has been hell, being off of meds has been hell and I found a psych doc that was holistic, which is what I wanted. I found a naturopathic psych doc but instantly hated him so I was grateful to find this other dr and she recommended I read Mad in America. That book just confirmed what I knew all along. Ive always tried to find drs who are open to the less meds the better and I have also done the giant cocktail psychopharmacologist route as well.

I also know that I can have episodes brought on by changing meds. I'm supposed to go from seroquel to seroquel xr and I'm very reluctant...

Good luck and be well...
-

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely