It is currently Sep 21, 2017 8:06 am

Coming Off Risperidone Consta Injection

Coming Off Risperidone Consta Injection

Postby burkowitz » Jun 20, 2013 1:46 pm

wondering if anyone has any experience coming off injectable risperidone.

it sounds like my pdoc is planning on switching me off the injection back to oral meds soon. he didn't really say what the dose would be.. when i was in hospital they had me on 4mg... then put me on a 50mg injection. since then i've reduced down to 25mg injection. since that is half of what they put me on at the beginning i am expecting they would give me 2mg or 1mg pills so that i can continue reducing. I would be kind of pissed off if he expected me to take 4mg pills again.. especially considering i probably still have a bunch of the shit in my system from the injection.

I am sort of not that keen about taking pills.. I found out recently that they actually have a lower dose injection at 12.5 mg. they say that that is a non-therapeutic dosage and my clinician said "it would be like sticking a needle in you for no reason". I am just wondering if it might be easier/better to come off meds by reducing down to a non-therapeutic injection.. you only have to get an injection every two weeks and i read that it takes like six weeks or something before the shit actually starts breaking down getting used by your body.. I haven't taken oral meds since I was in the hospital and I don't know not very keen on going back to them.. but that sounds like the direction my pdoc is leaning so maybe I should just go with him on it..

but yeah sort of wondering what it would be like to maybe take a 12.5 injection once or twice and then stop completely and just wait for it to work it's way out of my system.. not get back into the cycle of putting oral meds into my body daily.
burkowitz

Re: Coming Off Risperidone Consta Injection

Postby Anzu » Jun 20, 2013 7:28 pm

I think you should advocate for the 12.5 injection if that's what you want. In my mind tapering would be easier if you were on the oral dose. I don't know anything about injections, but 25 down to 12.5 seems like a big drop. I'm wondering if they can't just squirt 1/4 of the injection into the air and then give you the rest. I am fascinated about risperidone injections now, I just googled about it. I remember getting forced injections in the hospital hurt like hell, and the injection site bruised and hurt for about a week. It has to go into the muscle, so doesn't it hurt?
Anzu

Postby _ » Jun 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Last edited by _ on Jan 20, 2014 12:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
_

Postby burkowitz » Jul 05, 2013 2:22 pm

woo-hoo! i officially don't have to get anymore injections. the pdoc wrote me a prescription for 1mg risperidone oral tablets. I'm not really that keen on taking pills but it should only be for a couple months, and 1mg is a really low dose so that makes me feel better about it.

for some reason he was suggesting instead of going on oral risperidone I would try a low dose of a different antipsychotic.. like olanzapine or this other one he mentioned that i wasn't familiar with (he said it didn't cause raised prolactin levels like risperidone did). It seemed a bit funny to switch meds... I told him I'd rather just come off on a low dose of risperidone because that was what i was used to being on.. made more sense to me anyways.
burkowitz

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Jul 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Congrats on getting swtiched over to the 1mg pills. you can cut the 1mg pills which I absolutely would suggest doing (or even better using water titration) as you come off. im in the us and i think the injections arent profitable which is why they use oral tablets. In the us the smallest dose they have is .25 mg tablets and then i've been cutting those in 4 to reduce 1/16mg at a time. you could certainly achieve the same thing through water titration though.
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby burkowitz » Aug 14, 2013 2:54 am

sorta wondering about cutting pills.. does cutting them make them dissolve faster/hit you quicker? is there a coating on them that makes them more "time release"? it probably doesn't matter though because i only take them when i'm ready to go to bed.
burkowitz

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Aug 15, 2013 12:42 am

Hi- risperdal is not a time released/ extended release table there for it can be cut safely and cutting it does not change the rate at which it works or is absorbed by your body.
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby burkowitz » Aug 15, 2013 12:44 am

thanks!
burkowitz

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely