It is currently Sep 22, 2017 3:53 am

Is it possible Psych med withdrawal is similar to DMT?

Is it possible Psych med withdrawal is similar to DMT?

Postby WindThroughDoor » Feb 27, 2013 8:04 am

It seems both from my experience withdrawing from antidepressants and neuroleptics, besides the uncomfortable physical effects, that psych med withdrawal is very similar to dmt trip by what i hear from people's descriptions of it. however the psych med withdrawal experience can last for months and wreaks much more havoc and can kill you. maybe it is the aspect of having a near death experience? i don't really want to try dmt to find out, but i think it must have some similar effects. it was interesting sometimes for me but totally draining for years to follow, while trying to recover from it. i am physically ill too and have had nde before so it may be my own experience. but it happens for me everytime i withdraw from psych meds, making it very difficult to completely get off of them. i do like glimpsing the other worlds sometimes in milder states of heightened consciousness, but going all the way over can be too much when it lasts for such a long time. the psych med withdrawal last time was following trauma too. did i ask this already? i have deja vu, sorry...sorting out my head still.
Forever is composed of nows. ~Emily Dickinson
WindThroughDoor

Re: Is it possible Psych med withdrawal is similar to DMT?

Postby triciafishDE » Feb 27, 2013 1:04 pm

It's all in your mind. :)
I mean placebo effect can happen too and give you more anxiety.
And people titrate too long and just prolong the misery.
Junkies go cold turkey because they know that is the best way.
Society will say no, you gotta take methadone or this psych med to help you.

It's not dangerous to everyone. But titration just prolongs the misery. Think of a heroin addict getting just a tad bit less heroin everyday. It will drive them nuts.

You have to overcome the fear.
Klonopin and paxil were the worst.

Keep busy. Don't let the fear get to you.
<p><font color="#808080"> </font><span class="UIStory_Message">&lrm;" We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society." Martin Luther King, Jr</span></p>
triciafishDE

Postby burkowitz » Feb 27, 2013 2:29 pm

I don't think so... this is sort of similar to the thinking that LSD creates a sort of psychosis in people- as someone who's been through psychosis twice and countless acid trips I have to say that they are completely different, although i guess do share some points of reference- i mean that feeling of being of in an altered state. I tried DMT before, but couldn't get enough of it in my lungs i guess to get that breakthrough experience.. however a week or so later i had my first psychotic break- connection? i don't know? so unfortunately i can't really tell you what the true DMT experience is like.. and second psychosis happened after i was off meds for four or five months... in my mind i would think withdrawal symptoms would have come sooner than that. so i'm not really an expert about true DMT experience vs true withdrawal experience... but yeah in my mind these are just points of comparison. they are two different beasts..

smoked DMT only lasts for a few minutes- when i had my second psychosis i was in an altered state for about a month!
burkowitz

Postby WindThroughDoor » Feb 27, 2013 8:46 pm

i just wonder about the dmt that occurs naturally in the brain...i have had nde too which i think has some dmt effects. what a pain tho, yeah i was in extreme state for months last time, nearly died of it.
Forever is composed of nows. ~Emily Dickinson
WindThroughDoor

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely