It is currently Sep 22, 2017 4:11 am

stopping Zyprexa

stopping Zyprexa

Postby ford442 » Jan 18, 2013 9:23 pm

hello all,
i am about to read the PDF guide from this site - just got here..
last year i went from 20mg down to 15mg then 10mg - now i am on 5mg since 3 weeks ago and i am starting to feel some really weird things.. I am hoping to get some reassurance that I am going to make it through this?

I have been on Zyprexa and similar drugs for about 10 years having been diagnosed with undifferentiated-schizophrenia in 2001. i am now 33 i was 21 then. i was 140lbs then - went up to 290lbs - now i am down to a hefty 230lbs. my cholesterol level is up above 240 now. my teeth have suffered badly. i lost my father this past year and i had a bad accident cutting my wrist open on glass. all of these things told me that i should try to take better care of my physical body. i hope that you will agree and not start asking me if my symptoms are returning.

"Withdrawal symptoms reported to occur after discontinuation of antipsychotics include nausea, emesis, lightheadedness, diaphoresis, dyskinesia, orthostatic hypotension, tachycardia, nervousness, dizziness, headache, excessive non-stop crying, anxiety and death. According to Eli Lilly internal documents, discontinuation of zyprexa can also cause psoriasis, gingivitis and other inflammatory conditions, dyspepsia, headache, high blood sugar and other serious health conditions unrelated to psychiatric condition.[1][2]. Some have argued that additional somatic and psychiatric symptoms associated with dopaminergic super-sensitivity, including dyskinesia and acute psychosis, are common features of withdrawal in individuals treated with neuroleptics. This has led some to suggest that the withdrawal process might itself be schizo-mimetic, producing schizophrenia-like symptoms even in previously healthy patients, indicating a possible pharmacological origin of mental illness in a yet unknown percentage of patients currently and previously treated with antipsychotics. This question is unresolved, and remains a highly controversial issue among professionals in the medical and mental health communities, as well the public."

This all sounds like I should be in a hospital being observed 24/7...
My plan is to go down to 0mg next month... Your thought are most welcome!
I have been experiencing mild headaches with the veins in my head throbbing, confusion, hallucinations, delusions, anger, blunted emotion.. Thank you for any positive words!!
ford442

Re: stopping Zyprexa

Postby Inel » Jan 18, 2013 10:28 pm

hi ford442! i'm glad you're here. welcome.

it's super cool that you've decided to listen to your body and take better care of yourself.
sounds like you've had a rough year (sorry to hear you lost your father). i had a rough one, myself.
i'm so glad to be moving on and into a new year. may it be better for all of us.

zyprexa is such a powerful drug. it makes sense you would be feeling all sorts of intense stuff coming off of it, especially now, in the later stages of withdrawal. i hope you have lots of good support and access to tools that can help ease the intensity. be safe and keep listening to your wise body and take good care of you. i'll be interested to hear what you think of the harm reduction guide to coming off meds. another great resource for withdrawal is http://beyondmeds.com/
<p>"Hard times require furious dancing."  Alice Walker</p>
Inel

Postby ford442 » Jan 20, 2013 7:15 am

just finished the guide - i learned a lot - that my zyprexa is 2-methyl-4-(4-methyl-1-piperazinyl)-10H-thieno[2,3-b][1,5]benzodiazepine - so i read a bit about benzo withdrawal which seems to have some similarities..

i read about NMS - that must be why death is in the mix.. some people report non-stop crying.. so, i will be prepared for things to get worse before they get better..

i seem to be feeling a little better each day at this point getting used to the 5mg change..

i like the guide - it is written very much leaning toward the physical health side - but, someone in the situation that requires meds probably won't be reading it anyway..

i glanced again at the huge list of side effects from zyprexa - maybe i will feel physically better all over when it is gone! i have done a lot of sleeping and sitting at home instead of living the past 10 years - maybe i can finally turn some of this around...
ford442

Postby chiaroscuro » Jan 20, 2013 11:11 am

Welcome, Ford442! I don't have anything to say about Zyprexa, just wanted to speak up as another person who thinks it's super cool you're listening to your wise body and taking care of yourself... also that you're doing research and armoring yourself with information and reaching out for support in the process. These are all great things and so important. Definitely good to know the dangers and worse case scenarios, but also to keep perspective and a positive focus and the goal in mind, which it sounds like is exactly what you're doing so that's awesome.

I wonder if going to 0mg in a month might be a bit fast? I don't really know, it just seems like going slowly and allowing time to stabilize at each level of taper is generally helpful, possibly more so at later stages. Maybe someone who has more experience will chime in about that (most of my own drug withdrawals were done in uninformed and potentially dangerous ways, although I wound up coming through it okay). Anyway, wishing you the best.
chiaroscuro

Postby ford442 » Jan 20, 2013 4:45 pm

i am sure that this is better than the last time - before i went from like 20 to 15 one week then 10 then 5 then 0 in like 3-4 weeks.. that hurt - and they told me that the feelings i was having were probably my condition resurfacing so i went back on to 15mg...

i am glad to be able to read these specifics - before there was a list of side effects and very little - before about 2007 there was no information about withdrawal feelings..

today i woke up feeling a little better and with the idea that i can make it through this and that nothing really bad will happen..

now i understand why i have been feeling very weird ever since i started dropping down from 15mg - there is a very strange adjustment period - i have had episodes of talking to myself - outside and in view/earshot of the neighbors.. i wish that hadn't happened, but at least i don't just have myself to blame...

thank you for the support guys! this is a very nice website to find!
ford442

Postby radioinmyhead » Apr 09, 2013 7:04 am

Hi everyone... sorry for interrupting

but what is it with the teeth that happens during withdrawal?

I'm curious and frightened to hear about this.

thanks,
=r
Further the scientific progress, deeper the tunnel vision.
radioinmyhead

Postby ford442 » Apr 10, 2013 10:35 am

hey radio -

the withdrawal process is strange and makes every part of the body feel funny.
at some points you may experience like inflammation - just the blood pressure changing a bit.
the papers warn that gingivitis can be hastened by this extra flow of blood.
i told my dentist a few times and they did not seem worried.

i wish you the best if you are stopping Zyprexa!
ford442

Postby radioinmyhead » Apr 11, 2013 2:27 am

thanks.

i've had zyprexa late 90s early 00s...

i felt stupid the whole time... literally. couldn't concentrate. couldn't think.

p-doc tells me to get a job... and i'd feel frustrated because i couldn't do any job that required higher function, though I knew I was educated enough for better jobs...

r
Further the scientific progress, deeper the tunnel vision.
radioinmyhead

Postby TigersEye » Jun 25, 2013 10:21 pm

/////////////////////////////
Last edited by TigersEye on Jun 25, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigersEye

Postby TigersEye » Jun 25, 2013 10:23 pm

hello
i have been withdrawaling from zyprexa for the last 10 months just got done
at 5% every two weeks im using orthomolecular medicine about 6 months before also doing chinese herbs
but before this attempt i had really really really bad experence i was not well informend
i was going off fast about 13.5% every week had all the classic problems from drug naseua insomena and it messed my head up like a really dull hard to explain
,that didnt go away for 6 months so bad.
i found by taking taurine about 3g a day it would relive this major problem for me
but now im well informed and doing it right or safely
i used gaba 1500mg and gaba calm 3 day for anxiety and sleep just in case but this time ive had no problems at all
thank God
i used also
melatonin 10mg and some valarian
made a video look and see
https://vimeo.com/69117184
best
TigersEye

Postby jorge67 » Nov 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi everyone. I have been on Zyprexa 5 mg for over 5 years and due to its side effects I have been trying to withdraw, even though I go very slowly the nausea comes in, insomnia, anxiety, etc. I am experiencing pins and needles sensation in hands and feet that come and go... Has anyone felt this before? I will greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
jorge67

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely