It is currently Sep 22, 2017 3:59 am

can't stop crying / stopped taking zyprexa - is it linked?

can't stop crying / stopped taking zyprexa - is it linked?

Postby sleeping_explorer » Dec 13, 2012 10:19 pm

I recently came off of zyprexa / olanzapine as it didn't seem to be needed anymore and I don't like having toxic chemicals in my system. Plus my clothes started getting really tight on me and a common side effect listed is weight gain and I can't be doing with needing a whole new wardrobe.

A bit of background - taking it started because I was admitted to hospital after going a bit nuts and not sleeping for too long, and my system kinda went into overdrive and even valium wasn't touching me to get me unconscious. I was in for a month. Two months later and I started sleeping too much, having difficulty waking up after sleeping for 12 hours, feeling really groggy. It seemed to me like what it was needed for, to bring me down from a hyper state, wasn't necessary anymore. When I saw the psychiatrist about it he gradually took the dose down to 1/4 of what I was on originally. Since I've been halving the doses as soon as I was given the pills to take by myself, this took me down to 2.5mg which seemed pretty tokenistic. So I didn't expect just stopping them to be a big step and I just want to be clean of the chemicals and also not sleeping half the day and still feeling like a zombie.

Since then I've been just overwhelmed with emotions, feeling hopeless about myself and the world, like there's nothing worth living for, lost my direction...for about a week I've been feeling just lacking in any energy or positivity, and yesterday I just dissolved into tears (including whilst cycling down the high street) and couldn't stop. Same thing when I got up this morning - inexplicably in floods of tears and just feeling incapable of getting on with what I had planned for the day.

Is this withdrawal? Did anyone else have experiences like this? If it is I might be able to rationalise it a bit better as for now I just feel dumbfounded and overwhelmed and I have no idea where to turn or what to do to move on from this state. Normally I have a stack of tactics to keep myself well and to combat the depression which comes and goes, but at this point, I've started avoiding doing the basic things which are planned and there seems to be this gaping hole where my life used to be.
everything changes and everyone dies - we all must be shown - must realise - that everyone changes - and everything dies
'blood from the air', coil
sleeping_explorer

Re: can't stop crying / stopped taking zyprexa - is it linke

Postby babblefish » Dec 13, 2012 10:54 pm

hi sleeping_explorer

withdrawing from psych meds could most definitely be causing your recent mental weirdness. it's not something doctors usually bother to tell people. it makes sense if you think about it; your brain is trying to re-adjust to the absence of powerful mind-altering chemicals like it had to adjust to them, so feeling a bit off the wall and out of sorts comes with the territory. individuals vary, so how long and how intensely people experience withdrawal symptoms varies. i hope this bit of info takes some of the mystery and anxiety out of what you're experiencing, and that you find some strategies for getting through it all as smoothly as is possible.

best of luck to you.
there is a crack in everything. that's how the light gets in.
~ l. cohen
babblefish

Postby LilMissMoonshine » Dec 13, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi sleeping_explorer (like that name). I don't have any specific experience with zyprexa, but I've withdrawn myself from other meds, and it sure sounds like withdrawal to me. I remember having similar feelings. It's not really you, it's the freaking drug (or lack of it).

Gosh, that's tough, sorry :( Not sure what advice to give other than be gentle with yourself, realize it's drug withdrawal, maybe get a friend's help during this time, and try to stick it out before running back to the drug. You might have to go back on a small dose for a while if it all gets unbearable. Well, others here probably have more sage advice then I...hang in there!
Tell me, what else should I have done?/Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?/Tell me, what is it you plan to do/With your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
LilMissMoonshine

Postby chiaroscuro » Dec 14, 2012 8:38 am

This is unfortunately really common... these drugs tweak our neurochemistry all to hell, it can take a while to heal. I think it's criminal negligence that doctors don't tell people this, but at any rate, my advice would be similar to what others have said -- go easy on yourself, and try not to get talked into taking more drugs for how you're feeling now because it tends to just lead to more problems down the road. It's good that you have wellness tactics! Might need to add a few new ones to the stack?
chiaroscuro

Postby jacks_ashley » Dec 14, 2012 9:51 am

I have a lot of experience coming off Zyprexa and it can be really tough and cause all the stuff you're talking about. I actually go from 2.5 down to 1.25 (you can cut the pills in half), and starting adding calming/sedating herbs to supplement the zyprexa before I go all the way off. (Taking strongly brewed skullcap tea at night is particularly helpful, best if you can get the herb loose at the health food store or online). Also, getting acupuncture as you're going off the med can help with adjusting to the non-med state.

It doesn't last forever, promise. And you're not crazy.
jacks_ashley

Postby triciafishDE » Dec 14, 2012 11:32 am

It doesn't last forever, promise. And you're not crazy.

That's awesome and the best way to explain it!
<p><font color="#808080"> </font><span class="UIStory_Message">&lrm;" We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society." Martin Luther King, Jr</span></p>
triciafishDE

Postby sleeping_explorer » Dec 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm now wondering about going back on the zyprexa; the last prescribed dose was 5mg, and since I already had some 10mg rather than get a new prescription I agreed to cut those in half. I could quarter them to make a 2.5mg dose (and I'm thinking it would have been a good idea to do that in the first place) or ask for a prescription for 5mg and only have to halve them....it's not an easy decision and is in opposition to everything I feel and think about this stuff, but it's a bit more than I can handle at the moment. It's gotten to the point where making food is a challenge, and the part of me that knows sense is aware that that really isn't going to help matters.

The thing is, aren't I just postponing the agony? Is it any easier if you taper down more gradually?
The overwhelming feelings I'm having have some base, about having been hospitalised after so many years of managing without medication or conventional treatment. I thought I was all fine and dandy, creative and crazy but in a positive way and not needing any of that toxic crap. But then I got quite spectacularly ill and my self esteem is knocked for six as a result. Those issues aren't going to disappear. I don't know how to come back from it.
everything changes and everyone dies - we all must be shown - must realise - that everyone changes - and everything dies
sleeping_explorer

Postby jacks_ashley » Dec 15, 2012 8:40 pm

How recently were you put on the zyprexa, and how long did you take tapering off it? These factors can make a huge difference. Also, once you're out of acute crisis phase, it may be less destabilizing to your life to switch from zyprexa to a mood stabilizer that may have fewer side effects, depending on your body (I'm on trileptal, works great for me with 0 side effects), and stay on that until you're really ready to deal with a med withdrawal process.
jacks_ashley

Postby sleeping_explorer » Dec 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi Jacks, I was given it 3 1/2 months ago, on a 20mg dose. After a month I was getting a lot of home leave and able to administer them myself so I started halving the dose then. After a week or two, I forget how close to being discharged it was, the dose was reduced by the doctors to 15mg which I also cut in half. Roughly a month ago I started feeling groggy and unable to raise myself out of bed even after 12 hours sleep, so at that point the shrink cut the dose to 10 mg, which I halved, and a week later when I was still sleepy and groggy he cut it to 5mg. I thought there wasn't much point in reducing beyond 5mg and stopped taking it maybe 3 days after the doctor reduced it, which would have been exactly 2 weeks ago now.

The idea of going on a different kind of mood stabiliser has occurred to me vaguely...but it doesn't appeal to me at all - I can't remember all the details, but last time I went through any of the options with a doctor there wasn't one which didn't come with an array of undesirable "side" effects.

I've just cut a 10mg tablet into quarters to take for the next few days to see if anything changes. I saw a shrink yesterday who said it acts as a mood stabiliser as well - but what does that mean other than that it slows everything in your brain right down?
sleeping_explorer

Postby jacks_ashley » Dec 15, 2012 10:21 pm

I hear you about not wanting to try anything new that could have other side effects. It's always a really hard decision to make. Sometimes it really is worth it though. Sometimes you find the right thing and feel a million times better.

If you were on 20 mg to begin with, tapering at the rate you did is really quick and can c cause withdrawal psychosis at worst, or at least awful mood swings. There is a big difference between 5mg and 0. Big, despite whatever your shrink might say. The longer you've been on the stuff also the more gradually you should taper. When Iget manic Iusually take 5mg of zyprexa for 10 days, then I spend another 10 days tapering off. If I do it faster I stop sleeping well and eating enough again and get all mood swingy. The general rule I and others I know have used in tapering is go back up to whatever dose actually is working( 5mg?) , and take that until you feel really stable and are getting groggy, then start to cut it down in small increments, slowly. Like you might want to go down to 2.5 for a few weeks before cutting it more.
jacks_ashley

Postby triciafishDE » Dec 16, 2012 12:18 am

Hope you are doing better today.
This too shall pass (oh but not soon enough I always say)
<p><font color="#808080"> </font><span class="UIStory_Message">&lrm;" We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society." Martin Luther King, Jr</span></p>
triciafishDE

Postby chiaroscuro » Dec 16, 2012 1:01 am

sleeping_explorer wrote:I thought there wasn't much point in reducing beyond 5mg and stopped taking it maybe 3 days after the doctor reduced it, which would have been exactly 2 weeks ago now.

Yeah, that is way fast. I think what Jacks said about getting to a stable state and then tapering slooowly is good advice. Might be good to see a naturopath for advice about supplements or do research on them yourself, to support healing/regaining balance.
chiaroscuro

Postby robina » Nov 19, 2013 6:13 am

hello there. i know ur posst is a few years old. but i am the very same as your post and i wondered how you got on with the olanzapine. i have gone up 5 clothes sizes in the 4 years i'v been on them and im a size 20. i was a size 10.i have been in a lot of pain taking those pills and have had to cut my socks down the sides as my feet are so swollen, 2 weeks ago i decided to stop taking them and like you all i'v done is cry and felt suicidal. i got a pill cutter and have now started to cut the pills in half. i was on 20mg and weaned myself down to 5 mg, but no matter how little the amount i take i am still in pain and can hardly walk. i wish i had never listened to my doctor or taken those pills but of course we trust our doctors. did you eventuallly get of the olanzapine and how long did it take you or what did you do i would be so gratefull if you could let me know how you managed.as i need some hope, im so unhappy. thanks for your time, all the very best robina,
if its not broken. dont fix it.
robina

Postby jacks_ashley » Nov 20, 2013 3:38 pm

real quick: in tapering off, it has helped me to take really strong skullcap tea. (Ideally, get the herb in bulk and brew the tea). Skullcap is a nervine, extremely soothing and calming to the nervous system. Also, getting acupuncture has really helped with the withdrawal process. And exercise.

Sending you lots of luck and solidarity in getting through this process.

Oh yeah - one last thing. The first time I was on zyprexa, for about 3 months, I gained 25 pounds and it took me about 3 months to lose it. With the amount you've gained, you will probably have to be patient with weight loss and foot pain reduction.
jacks_ashley

Postby maamyyrä » Nov 21, 2013 1:42 am

you shouldn't try to "lose weight" at all. it will just throw you into weight cycling. which goes always upward.
try to be active and make sure you feel well. stress doesn't just make some people eat more, it also biologically is related to the metabolism.
you can't make grass grow more quickly by pulling on it
maamyyrä

Postby robina » Dec 08, 2013 12:06 pm

jacks ashley. this is robina here. i tried to send you a private letter to thank you for answering my post but i dont think it got through to you as something came up i cant remeber now what it said but it was something about not knowing this person, so i just want to thank you anyway, i have been cutting down for a month now. for the first two weeks i took none at all and thats when all the crying started, so i went on half a 2'5 a day with a pill cutter. its now been a month since i'v been taking half of two point 5. its been really hard i'v been having terrible nightmares and other things im still feeling very depressed but i have had some good days. but last night i was so desperate for a rest from this nightmare of withdrawels i went and took 5mg olanzapine for a good nights sleep and escape from the terrors. i am so paranoid and distrustful of anyone, i live on my own and have done for 17 years it gets very lonely with no one to distract me from my own mind, but i have to say that my ankles have gone back to normal and i have lost a stone in weight. and things are not bad every single day. im just worried that by taking that 5mg that i'v set myself back. what do you think. i bought the skullcap tea and it tasted terrible i cant drink it.iv not got round to the accupuncture yet.most of my physical pain has vanished.and i managed to do some exercise one day a few days ago. i just want to take it easy as im the kind of person who wants to do it all at once. it was so good of you to answer my post and maybe you even saved my life. because you gave me hope when i had none and i will remember you in my prayers which i say nearly every day or night, i was seriously suicidal. so thank god for people like you who help others. always gratefull to you. robina
robina

Postby jacks_ashley » Dec 08, 2013 5:37 pm

I'm so so glad that what I said was helpful. And so glad that your physical symptoms are getting better. I don't think you are wrecking anything by going up on your dose when you need to get some relief. I have frequently had to do that too. Do you have access to a doc who could get you some Ativan? That can also be really helpful to have some relief from anxiety and nightmares. You have to be careful how often you take it, trying not to use it more than 3 or 4 nights a week is best, but it can be super helpful.

Wishing you lots of luck and perseverance
j
jacks_ashley

Postby Omorfi » Mar 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Hello and thank you all for communicating your withdrawal stories. After a year of feeling depressed and not myself I along with my Dr have decided to stop the Xyprexa. I cut down from 2.5 little by little to zero. I had a week of insomnia but now I am sleeping. But I feel anxious and terrible about myself. I have been without motivation while on this drug and now I look where my life is ... But, I am determined. This drug blocks dopamine and serotonin receptors. No wonder I was depressed.
But how long will this last? I'm afraid to talk about because people will say go back on the med.
I welcome any support.
Omorfi

Postby sleeping_explorer » Dec 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Hi,
Sorry for the long hiatus before revisiting this thread. I realise this may now be irrelevant for some people who responded!
But it's usually useful for someone to read.
So, I went back on the zyprexa at a lower dose and over a period of 7 months or so tapered the doses down to 2.5mg then between 1.25 - 1.7mg (the 5mg pills broke into either 3 or 4 pieces). After about that time I started taking the smallest dose every other day and then stopped taking it altogether. I did feel pretty much the same as beforehand psychologically, there wasn't the acute increase in difficult emotions that there was before.
It's about 18 months since I took any regularly and in general things have been OK. I had serious sleeping problems about this time last year which even herbs didn't seem to help with. But partly through having a new project to work on that started last Jan I've had focus and motivation and a structure. The sleeping thing has never been that easy but I've been working with it for the most part without zyprexa's assistance. I did use valium and zopiclone and zoplidam quite a bit this last year though.
I did have a bit of a melt down towards the end of August - the factors contributing this are very easy to identify, I over extended myself and took on a very difficult subject, the latter needed to be done, but the physical stuff I also put myself through was not a good idea. I knew I was too tired half way through the month but pushed myself through the rest of it anyway because the objective really mattered to me. But then a couple of people died and it kinda pushed me to the edge, I was totally burnt out stressed and a mess at the start of September and actually resorted to taking some zyprexa I had left over from all the scripts I was chopping up twice. These occasions were spaced out by a month and were both precipitated by really stressful situations, and I took it to prevent myself going to a bad place. I know by now that if I didn't sleep much for several days and I'm wide awake despite being exhausted then maybe it's time to knock myself out. In those situations it did the trick and I was really dopey the next day but recovered. And didn't need to go back on it every day.
I don't think I'd be in a good state if I had carried on taking the zyprexa. I don't think it is a good drug for me long term. I don't like to say what other people should do, maybe there are some for whom their symptoms are too extreme and having the brain activity be dampened down to that degree makes them safer. I do think it is far too widely prescribed though.
sleeping_explorer

Postby robina » Dec 08, 2014 11:27 am

omorfi. i really hope that you dont go back on those meds as they are horrible. i was on them and went through terrible withdrawel. im went to the gp and got prescribed quetiapine 100mg. and still had horrible withdrawels and i feel i am still withdrawing. i cut the quetiapine down to 50mg and i feel suicidal every single day.but its got to get better if the meds clear out your system. i can understand what sleeping explorer said about taking a couple in september.i often feel like jumping out of bed and taking an olanzapine as i know it will sort everything out. but its not worth it. keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. your not alone im crying right now. its just after 3pm in the day and i didnt want to get up today as im so depressed. i had pains in my face and head last night and could hardly lay my head on the pillow.and my head was hurting. i had to sleep with a hat on to keep my head warm. the things that these tablets do to us are really evil. such strange things. good luck once again,. im on your side and wishing you will wish i was there to give you a hug as we all need someone at this time. how did this ever happen to me?????
robina

Next

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely