It is currently Sep 23, 2017 11:15 pm

Cutting up lithium pill questions!

Cutting up lithium pill questions!

Postby Avonleamarilla » Nov 23, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm tapering off lithium and I'm not able to get reduced dosages yet from the shrink I am working with. (long story about why...)

Anyway, I tapered myself from 900 mg to 450 mg over the past two months.
I went too fast according to some experts who I am now familiar with, & who I admire (Dr. Liz Miller, Dr. Breggn etc.) although I have been 100% stable and fine at 450 mg for the past 6 weeks.

After researching this,a 10% taper rate/month is most wise, not a 20%+/month taper like I did,
for the best tapering results.

So I have 450 mg generic Eskalith tablets. They actually have a score mark, but the pharmacist tells me that t=one is not supposed to cut them up as it changes the way the dose is dispersed - I'm not really worried about that as I take it at night. What I did today was cut one 450 mg tablet in half (yielding *super-roughly* 225 mg) and then I cut that half
into half (to create ***super-roughly*** 100 mg) So I might be taking around 300 mg a night and each night that dose would fluctuate a bit since my cuts are not exact.

My goal is to get less of this drug in my system until I can proceed with the shrink & taper more gradually,
which may take me months at this rate & possibly may not even happen.

I'd like to take around 300 mg a night and see how I do.

I guess my question is, do you think I'm doing something super-dangerous & super-stupid?

And do you know anyone else who cuts pills like this? I can't get fancy equipment. I'm broke.

THANKS!!!!!! I hope to hear from anyone - it will be a Thanksgiving miracle if I do! ;)
Avonleamarilla

Re: Cutting up lithium pill questions!

Postby triciafishDE » Nov 24, 2012 2:39 pm

If the tablets have a score mark that usually means they can be cut.
You could ask the pharmacist to give you the smaller mg tabs. Mine did.

If it is extended release then you are not supposed to cut them.
A doctor will tell you not to taper off too fast bc they are at risk of lawsuits....for giving wrong medical advice.

Why not take a pill every other night?
Lithium is a salt.
You have to take the leap and not look back.

What does your gut say?
<p><font color="#808080"> </font><span class="UIStory_Message">&lrm;" We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society." Martin Luther King, Jr</span></p>
triciafishDE

Postby Avonleamarilla » Nov 24, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi sweet Tricia! So yes, my pills have the score marks but they are ER (which makes no sense whatsoever)
so according to the pharmacist I'm NOT supposed to cut 'em, but I'm cutting them anyway - the pharmacist won't give me lower dose pills (the 300) even though I asked her. Whatever!

My gut says to just cut the pill, which I did last night, so I'm taking the leap for the third time since I started this taper a couple months ago.

You are awesome. :) Off to take the girls for a hike.

God Bless!
Avonleamarilla

Postby triciafishDE » Nov 24, 2012 5:10 pm

Have a nice hike! Hug a tree for me.
It's fa fa freezing here.

I cut the lithium in half when i first got on it. I didn't see any difference. But i was clueless back then. When i told the psychiatrist at my follow up and told him i cut them, he said don't do that they were time released. So i just quit taking them. THis was after my first hospital stint back in 1999. I had a 3.5 yr old then to take care of. I knew nothing about psych meds, just from what the Holy Spirit lead me to know....that they were bad for you.

God speed to you!
Don't let fools scare you.
We cannot have fear if we have faith. Easier said than done of course.
CHrist the physician doesn't dispense psych meds.
<p><font color="#808080"> </font><span class="UIStory_Message">&lrm;" We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society." Martin Luther King, Jr</span></p>
triciafishDE

Postby Avonleamarilla » Nov 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Thank you Triciafish!!!!! You always give me strength through your writings!

I'm going to do it - I *AM* doing it! And it feels good to not be depressed after four years on lithium! :))))))))
Avonleamarilla

Postby triciafishDE » Nov 25, 2012 1:32 pm

Praise to be God and to you!

Depression is when the devil keeps us down?
Who is the devil? Society. Man. Money.
When we follow those things, we will get depressed.
But then again when we follow God and see how bad the world is, we get sad at all the pain in the world.

Keep on hiking!
Peace!
triciafishDE

Postby Avonleamarilla » Nov 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Seriously, praise the Lord!!!

And thank God for Tricia - you have been SOOO great.

Please, please pray for me and my family, as we meet with our couples counselor at 11:00 PST today to discuss my decision about going off lithium.

I feel really good since my last pill cut on Friday night - not hypomanic at all, no racing thoughts - just good. Although I'm totally nervous about our couples session today, because what I want more than anything is my husband's support and "buy-in" on my decision.

I did my hour-long walk this morning and showered; I'm wearing my good-luck shirt, and I have my notes and books at the ready all "supporting my case" to discuss with Craig (husband) and Ina during our session. I told Craig that I will be calm during the session and that seemed to be very reassuring to him. We have not spoken about my choice since I told him on Wednesday - we tabled it for our session today! Amazing restraint!!!!!!!

Our two little girls are being well-taken-care-of during our session.

Thank you for your good thoughts and for reading this. :)))) God bless us all!!!!!
Avonleamarilla

Postby triciafishDE » Nov 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Praying for you that your husband receives wisdom and understanding.
It sucks when family has fallen for the propaganda of psych meds. I feel your pain.
The Lord says do not worry about things. What you eat, what you wear.
God will hear you, but we can't change His will for us.
Put your soldier boots on. It can get rough!

Look up!
triciafishDE

Postby Avonleamarilla » Nov 25, 2012 2:15 pm

Thank you Tricia for your words of wisdom.

All I know is that I need to be CALM about this. Getting enraged (my tendency - of course everyone gets all "That's your bipolar talking!" which is utter bullcrap) is my modus operandi and that cycle needs to be broken by ME.

I keep telling myself that my decision has been MADE.

NO ONE (aside from myself) has the power to force me to be on drugs.

Craig's argument (if you can call it that...not to sound mean, but it's the plain truth)
is that when I went off lithium a couple years before I went nuts.

Well, I went off it cold turkey, which I now know is a big NO NO!

It just sucks that he may tell me in 45 minutes that if I don't remain on lithium, he will divorce me.
So be it.
I love him dearly, we have two kids, and we've been together 14 years, but I cannot and will not be drugged anymore.
Avonleamarilla

Postby triciafishDE » Nov 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Hope things went well.
You must be like me, too honest to hide anything. :)

But I think we have to lie to live in this world. ugh.
triciafishDE

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely