It is currently Sep 21, 2017 8:17 am

SUPPORT FOR KIDNEY DAMAGE FROM LITHIUM

SUPPORT FOR KIDNEY DAMAGE FROM LITHIUM

Postby Tembo » Nov 11, 2012 3:45 am

Hi - This is my first posting. I'm looking for SUPPORT from people who have had kidney damage from lithium which I've been on for far too long and unfortunately have been told about a year ago that I would 'probably be on dialysis in 10-15 years'. That news shocked my system and my kidneys got much worse after that (body-mind connection as far as I'm concerned). The nephro who I refer to as the Grim Reaper told me basically that the damage is done and get to the lowest dose which I'm on now (300mg). I"m hesitant to lower it as I know the next step (I've been reducing very slowly by 25mg) will probably be below the 'therapeutic' range. But I am doing lots of alternative therapies (naturopathy, homeopathy, acupuncture, massage, hypnosis/counselling) and feel I should rid this poison from my body once and for all! After being 'psychiatrized', I've learned to distrust the medical system so am not happy to be part of their kidney 'team'. Please let me know if you are in the same predicament or want to offer other support. Thanks!
Tembo

Re: SUPPORT FOR KIDNEY DAMAGE FROM LITHIUM

Postby Avonleamarilla » Nov 11, 2012 10:25 am

Hey Tembo, I'm TOTALLY offering you MEGA-SUPPORT!
I am so sorry you are going through this hell. You made me chuckle with the name "Grim Reaper" - you have a great sense of humor in light of everything....

Pardon my French, but holy fucking shit!

You have inspired me to get the fuck off my lithium come hell or high water. I've been on it for four years.

Over the past four months I tapered SUCCESSFULLY from 900 mg of lithium to 675 to where I am at now: 450,
which I'm sure is below the therapeutic level. I feel better than I have in YEARS!!! I'm doing tons of research validating what I am doing, and after selling my g-damn wedding ring to afford it, I am seeing a shrink who will assist me in tapering slowly and safely off the remaining 450 mg. I'll most likely take 6 months to taper, following Breggin's 10% taper rule, but possibly faster than that. I'll know more soon.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on about myself - I wanted to vent and to also let you know where I am coming from. As far as what you wrote:

"I am doing lots of alternative therapies (naturopathy, homeopathy, acupuncture, massage, hypnosis/counselling) and feel I should rid this poison from my body once and for all! After being 'psychiatrized', I've learned to distrust the medical system so am not happy to be part of their kidney 'team'. Please let me know if you are in the same predicament or want to offer other support. Thanks!"

GOOD FOR YOU Tembo!!!! You are awesome!!!

I too am doing what I consider to be "alternative" therapies such as walking 4 miles in an hour a day. Walking is my mood-stalibilizer/antidepressant. I also do daily Sunbox light therapy, weekly counseling with a spiritual therapist who does things like Hakomi, Shamanic practices etc., and when I can afford it, Nordic Naturals fish oils.

I just bought a book called "Natural Healing for Bipolar Disorder" and I am about to read it, plus I follow Dr. Liz Miller's advice (www.drlizmiller.com) on her new blog. She writes in response to my lithium tapering predicament there...I bought Dr. Miller's book "Mood Mapping" - she is a neurosurgeon in the U.K. who was diagnosed with bipolar, she was on lithium, and then she took 6 months to taper off lithium and has been living her best years totally med-free for the past 15 years. She believes in mapping one's moods to live a better life and I see no harm in trying it out.

So take care, hang in there, and let us know how you are doing!!!!!!
Avonleamarilla

Postby Inel » Nov 11, 2012 11:56 am

i just want to say, i'm so sorry. this sucks. i'm glad you reached out for support.

you don't need to take what some doctor said as a death sentence. mostly, they have no idea what they're talking about and all of our bodies/minds are different and respond differently to different circumstances. sounds like you've got a team of alt therapists to support you in getting off lithium. imagine how happy your body will be with 10-15 years of less lithium!

i was on lithium for while and got really TOXIC on it (technically, i was deemed disabled for lithium toxicity although the paperwork says otherwise). i had parkenson's symptoms and a blown out thyroid (everyone said i'd be on thyroid meds for the rest of my life). off lithium, it took my body a very short time to totally recover (thyroid and all). All I'm really saying is, we're all different and bodies are amazingly resilient.

i wish i was better at searching this site, because i remember other really powerful conversations on this topic around here. i'll look as i'm able. i'm glad you're here and hope you find the support you need.

sounds like you're on the right path.

i'll be thinking good thoughts for you.
<p>"Hard times require furious dancing."  Alice Walker</p>
Inel

Postby triciafishDE » Nov 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Sorry to hear that this. Many people get kidney damage from Lithium. My mother had some damage, but her's was more like Inel's with the shaky hand stuff.
I wonder if there are any lawsuits regarding Lithium...

I would get off of the Lith.
Maybe the Grim Reaper can help you file a lawsuit.

The reason doctors do bloodwork for Lithium patients is to check toxic levels...that is all. They tell you it's for therapeutic levels. How sick in the head is that?

I would listen to the kidney doctor or get a second opinion or third. Cut down on other salts while taking the Lithium.

You are in my prayers and thoughts.
Maybe more people will stop taking these lethal drugs when they hear the damage they do.
God Speed to you.
<p><font color="#808080"> </font><span class="UIStory_Message">&lrm;" We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society." Martin Luther King, Jr</span></p>
triciafishDE

Postby fightforroses » Nov 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi, I'm not sure if any dose is theraputic.... But the body has some really incredible potential for resilience and repairing itself, once it's no longer being pumped full of toxins. I really hope you can get off and help your kidneys to heal themselves. Can I ask what results you want from the other therapies?
Real Me unavailable due to bullying and harassment.
http://bit.ly/295mx7F ,
http://bit.ly/299egBd , and
http://bit.ly/297MGog
fightforroses

Postby Tembo » Nov 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Many thanks to those who have responded already. I'm new to this forum stuff and quite low-tech but am happy to be heard and receive support. It's good for us to remind each other of our resiliency and question heavily if the medical system provides HEALth or HELLth. I forgot to add that I chose after my last hospitalization (15 yrs ago - practically overdosed me!) to never go back in no matter what and ditch my shrink and be 'outside' of the system which meant there was no shrink monitoring my kidneys only my GP who forgot to do so for 10 years and then "Whoops!" Now I completely know why she said at the time "You'll probably sue me". Yes, If there were a class action law suit (which there really should be!), I'd be in. Have to spend my energy though on healing. More negligence came from the nephro who I didn't get to see 7 yrs ago and was told by her locum that it might not be the lithium - WTF?! Okay, now that my first GP (Ms. forgetful) has retired they have finally admitted the truth. Wierd shit huh? But other family members have experienced negligence from the medical system and I'm sure we have all heard stories. Excuse me while I continue to use sarcasm as a coping mechanism. I also have a lot of love and strength to get me through.
Will keep posting when I get the 'notion'.....Thanks again!
ps. Someone asked about what I'm hoping to get from the alt therapies. In a nutshell (pun intended?).....HEALth!
Tembo

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely