It is currently Sep 22, 2017 3:54 am

Off Abilify as of 10/11/12

Off Abilify as of 10/11/12

Postby Stigma3Nigma » Oct 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Finally got off abilify after my slowest reduction yet. I've been off it 11 days now after being on it almost consistently for two years. My primary reason: I felt lifeless, dull, completely demotivated, and stupid.

I am still on Lamictal, a low dose at 75mg. This is all I am on now.

So, the last time I went off abilify it was with doctor's approval in 2009, I think around May. I went off faster that time around. By October I was getting manic-y and I ended up spending New Year's 2010 in the hospital in Los Angeles. I was also taking lamictal then, but sporadically as time passed.

This time I am not gonna change the lamictal at all for a good long time to give me a chance to adjust properly. I NEED to do this right.

Its still too early to tell any changes, and really...that was the whole problem: I was too blunted too notice any changes. Or feel any different, ever.

I have good supportive people in place right now, just really self-monitoring (another reason behind me posting this).

Seeing a new doctor on Saturday, who will hopefully be supportive of this decision...she had good reviews online so maybe I'll do ok this time around. I'm drafting a letter to her so I can get my thoughts together coherently when we meet.

I really believe I can do this, this time around.

those of you that have gone off this drug, or other antipsychotics:

How long did it take to notice an effect?
Stigma3Nigma

Re: Off Abilify as of 10/11/12

Postby LilMissMoonshine » Oct 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Hey Stigma. I can't answer your last question regarding how long to notice an effect off of abilify (abilifry?), but I just wanted to say, hooray, great news! I hope the after effects are manageable. I was on abilify for only a few weeks before I stopped it cold turkey (no problem at that point) because of the horrible side effects I was experiencing. But I then got switched to another drug, so maybe that masked some after effects, but I doubt it, I hadn't been on it long enough. That's why I can't really answer your question, sorry. Good luck with everything!
Tell me, what else should I have done?/Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?/Tell me, what is it you plan to do/With your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
LilMissMoonshine

Postby AlwaysOnSlightlyOff » Oct 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Hey, no practical advice to offer, just wanted to say good for you-- it's excellent to hear you've got a good group of supportive people by your side, and I hope you can build a good relationship with your new doctor. Very best of luck
If your nerve, deny you -
go above your nerve
~ Emily Dickinson
AlwaysOnSlightlyOff

Postby MyBigTakeOver » Oct 22, 2012 6:59 pm

I was given abilify during my first hospitalization. I went off within two months. Since then I haven't bothered with other meds, and have been steadily self medicating with food, exercize, and herbs.. I do recall developing a shoplifting streak and general disinhibition after getting off the little pink pill.
"The scariest, most terrifying thing that I fear?"
"Yes."
"My Imagination."
"I thought you were going to say "Fear, itself."
"Then you have a small imagination."
Roland and Eddie
— Stephen King 'The Dark Tower'
MyBigTakeOver

Postby Stigma3Nigma » Oct 22, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, LMM and AOSO. I appreciate the support...every voice counts. I miss you two, wish I engaged more often on here. It really means a lot that you have my back.

AOSO, your tagline quote is also resonating with me today as I remind myself I do not have to continue to fit into the boxes that others have made for/expect from me. I feel as if these restrictions have crept into my own self-image far too deeply.

My personality has been so inhibited that I don't really know what defines me anymore..."not knowing" has become my general state of being. I'm like this weird undefined blob of chopped up thoughts and other people's impressions. So I could use the disinhibition you mentioned, MyBigTakeOver.

I sort of get hit with waves of misery...although it isn't as bad the last few days. Still really hard to motivate, even to play music, which I sometimes enjoy.
Stigma3Nigma

Postby MyBigTakeOver » Oct 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Welcome to the FiveFinger Debit Accountholders InnerNational!
"The scariest, most terrifying thing that I fear?"
"Yes."
"My Imagination."
"I thought you were going to say "Fear, itself."
"Then you have a small imagination."
Roland and Eddie
— Stephen King 'The Dark Tower'
MyBigTakeOver

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Oct 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Congratulations on getting of of Abilify! I have no practical advice because they taperd me off abilify (don't remember the dose... 30mg I think?) and weened me on risperdal (3mg) over a course of like 4 days in the hospital. Working on getting off of my meds. best wishes.
ObjectsInMirrors

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely