It is currently Sep 23, 2017 10:59 pm

I need to get off seroquel...

I need to get off seroquel...

Postby Raining Frog » Oct 22, 2012 1:16 am

Well, let's see... I never fully believed my psychiatrist when she said "weakened immune system on seroquel isn't a side effect I know".

Years of immune problems.

First start with one frequently recurring almost constant infection about 9 years ago.
Then, about 3 years ago, another infection goes from "getting occasionally" to very frequently/almost always having it.

Now I am down off of 2 antibiotics at once to try to clear out infections and neither worked.

Years of wondering if I have HIV my immune system is so weak.

Going back to doctor tomorrow to address- A known bacterial infection and sinus infection,
a skin infection on my ear,
a possible yeast infection, mild ear infection, and bladder infection (symptoms of this)

All at once.

Broke down and googled "weakened immune system while on seroquel"

definitely turned up some stuff

interesting comments on a lawsuit page
http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/seroquel-951/

I am on 250 mg and can't go even 25 lower without severe insomnia...

which in turn triggers psychosis...

5'2 160 pounds...
also read about a man who had 16000 dollars in dental work done for crowns needed due to wearing down of the tooth enamel caused by dry mouth...

I have had work done for this as well...

Let's see, my psychiatrist "does not support me" in going down/off of the drug...
Has given me ONE other option of a psych drug as a replacement if I were to go that route...
the new drug "Latuda" yay...
I'm afraid if I go off and drop out of appointments she might try to get me court ordered or sent to the psych ward...
Have no names for psychiatrists that sound any better...

NO MORE. I have to go off of this drug!!

How do I go off? It's hell...I've tried everything...

I think honestly that I would need HEROIN or MORPHINE to counter the insomnia caused by withdrawal...
believe me I have tried things that are weaker and they do not work...clonazapam, vicodin, muscle relaxants...

Parents finally turned around and said that they would support me trying to get off psych meds rather than fight against it...

My health is horrible...I know that there are some threads buried here about this drug here and there...

I would appreciate any support possible tho!
Raining Frog

Re: I need to get off seroquel...

Postby _ » Oct 22, 2012 1:29 am

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... ponse.aspx

Do you live in an area where you could possibly get your hands on some raw milk from grass fed cows?! If not apparently whey protein from grass fed cows can also help your immune system.
_

Postby _ » Oct 22, 2012 1:36 am

oh yeah and there's other things that article suggests as well. Coconut oil is of course best to cook with. And it also suggests fermented foods among other things for better immune system. I like tempeh quite a bit actually... far superior to the evil tofu!
_

Postby Raining Frog » Oct 22, 2012 1:46 am

I live in Wisconsin, so this should be an ideal place. There have been issues back and forth of the legality of raw milk and honestly, the idea of drinking that scares me a bit, but I shouldn't have a problem finding someone who has it, my uncle is also a farmer in the area, I could ask him if nothing else.

Thanks for the link, going off might take longer than I want. Considering going cold but don't want to wind in the psych ward for that shit, because they have already threatened to institutionalize me if I land in the ward for going off meds. Yay.

TriciafishDE (is it cool if I quote?) had said something in a recent thread thread about a certain vitamin D, or B-12 or something like that helping to stop psychotic breaks. I'm going to have to look that up again, and utilize anything I can afford to help...

Edit (recent new post)- I have never cooked with coconut oil...will probably buy some next time I see it...tempeh is great, also like tofu!
Raining Frog

Postby silverelf » Oct 22, 2012 1:50 am

Try 1% at a time? so drop about 2.5 instead of 25 (10% is still a hefty amount to drop if you've been on it long term). Hold for a week and then drop another 1%. Etc. Once you get a few cuts under your belt you may be more confident and less scared about the insomnia. At some point you may be able to speed up. Or maybe not, it may take a year or two to come off, I know that seems like way too long, but think if you would have started 2 years ago.

Also, I think that a lot of the harmful effects of psych drugs are dose dependent, so you may find that your immune system starts recovering well before you are off of it.

It could be unrelated of course, so also probably wise to examine diet, maybe try an elimination diet, etc.
Do not spend a lot
of time in an asylum writing cruel poems
if you can help it, one Artaud is enough.
silverelf

Postby Raining Frog » Oct 22, 2012 2:03 am

2.5 mg...ouch...

I respect your opinion, it's just sad for me. I have been on for...almost 13 years, but I was about to ask the question

decrease gradually or cut cold?

2.5...very gradually. Is cutting cold at all possible? Would the insomnia and psychosis end after a certain time period?

If I could figure out the general time period somehow, I would know how long I'd have to tough it out without contacting a doctor.

I am only prescribed 25's at lowest, tiny pill already, reducing it to 2.5 will be challenging. I get a limited prescription of these and may not get refills indefinitely.

I know there was some...thread somewhere about reducing pills to the exact milligram when you are looking at something you can't exact by cutting in half/quarters.

Feel dumb here, I will have to look for the thread.

Thank you for your advice. I just don't know if I can reduce this slow. Supplements, anything to help the reduction I am willing to buy.
Raining Frog

Postby Raining Frog » Oct 22, 2012 2:33 pm

For now, I might try reducing by 6.25, 1/4 of a tablet, for 2-3 weeks at a time instead of one. Sorry if this sounds arrogant but I just can't wait to get off.
Raining Frog

Postby silverelf » Oct 22, 2012 2:40 pm

sure, go as fast as you can. With many of the more tranquilizing psych drugs though, it will take your brain awhile to readjust, so it doesn't necessarily heal faster just because you are off it totally.

Or think of it like this. Yes, of course the rebound effects will go away in time, but let's say it takes 6 months. Is it better to spend those 6 months gradually withdrawing and having minimal discomfort or spend them cold turkey and in some degree of hell? The reason cold turkey is used with recreation drugs is because one usually CANNOT decrease them over time because the urge to keep on doing what you are doing is too strong (ie; if I had a dolalr for everytime I heard a smoker say they were going to just smoke one less cigarette a day/week until they quit...)

Also, there is substantial evidence that the sort of chemical whiplash that happens in your brain is actually damaging/dangerous from cold turkey. This is more true of benzos, but any tranquilizer of course.

If you go down by 6.5, then yeah, just hold until symptoms seem manageable and then drop again. Maybe it can be a week, maybe longer.
Do not spend a lot
silverelf

Postby Raining Frog » Oct 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback...will try 6.5 for now just to see what happens with the insomnia. Good point about street drugs and cold turkey. If this still seems too fast, I will do my best to decrease to 2.5...do not want to get "worse" long term b/c of cold turkey, I already have had a lot of issues with dropouts of work and school (which frankly I don't have so much of an "issue" with, it's just seeming to be the majority of the people I talk to do).
Raining Frog

Postby Anything51 » Oct 24, 2012 7:51 pm

Hey Raining Frog,

Sorry to hear that you've been on such a monster dose of seroquel for so long. Fear of insomnia is a hell in and of itself. I've been slowly stepping off benzos since last April and have found that each step-down brings a level of symptoms; not the same as the total mess I had with my misguided attempt at complete withdrawal but a tempered version. The first and last symptom to show up is insomnia. My latest step-down gave me a bunch-o-crap along with a total of 17 hours of sleep in an eight day period of time.

Feeling your pain, friend. There is nothing I'd like to do more than to stop these things altogether, once and for all, and let my brain heal but the idea of Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome scares me more than insomnia. And the thing that Silverelf spoke of - the possibility of real damage to my brain and/or nervous system - is scarier still.

I understand that the really minor step-down method (which will take what feels like an eternity) is a daunting road to have to go down. I hope you can take heart and do what you think is best. For myself, I did find out that, once started, I could move faster than the 2-1/2 years I was told and still be safe. I'm hoping to be off the benzos for good by the end of this year (I've compressed it into an un-fun yet non-destructive, non-psychotic nine months).

Here's hoping that you can make it and have patience and health in the process.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall ~ Robert Frost
Anything51

Postby Raining Frog » Oct 24, 2012 8:37 pm

I was on around 600 originally, my dope psychiatrist says "250 is barely a therapeutic level" but hey whatever. Anyone I talk to who is in favor of holistics says 250 is a lot.

It feels like a lot, for I am still getting all the side effects of a high dose.

I couldn't even go down by 6.5 mg without that insomnia crap, I don't even know what's happening. I will have to try to decrease further somehow...maybe I can find someone who is willing to prescribe a smaller dose.

Wow, you have dealt with a lot too...you are strong! I am not in a good living situation IMO right now because I had to sublet my apartment and live with my parents who are always up in my business about any change they see in my mental health. Can't wait to get another place of my own, then hopefully I can get away with the several day insomnia...but man, it is horrible.

Post-acute withdrawal syndrome, I don't know how familiar I am with that. Permanent damage...frightening. I wish I was never put on this stuff. Going to try one more split with the pill cutter and get some kind of uneven 3.25 ish dose and see if I can decrease that at all.

I can be a fairly patient person but damn, it just sounds so much better to quit cold. 2 year + going off...well, hopefully I will be rid of it eventually, or maybe I can "switch" my anti-psychotic over and reduce that one.
Raining Frog

Postby Raining Frog » Oct 26, 2012 4:06 pm

One more cut, down to 3.375 mg approximately or whatever it is. The mg is going to be a little varied because it's tough to use pill cutters on something this size with success, but it seems to work for now. Two days in. I finally am able to get sleep with a reduction! Feeling some hope now...
Raining Frog

Postby silverelf » Oct 26, 2012 9:38 pm

good!

I know it seems like it would be easier to just quit and be done, but keep in mind that your brain can only destabilize itself so fast. If you quit quickly, it will likely take the same amount of time to feel "normal", only you will have worse symptoms. Just try and stay on your edge between comfortable and uncomfortable and focus on the fact that you are decreasing (yay!) and still functional (yay!) without worrying about how long it will take.

Right now I am doing benzo reductions that are .005 mg! 5/1000ths of a milligram. More than that and I start getting panic and burning skin and crazy dreams and sleep issues. No dr would tell me to go so slow, but I know what is happening inside my own body/mind. I'll go faster as I can, and slower as I must.
Do not spend a lot
silverelf

Postby Raining Frog » Oct 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Yeah, hopefully that will go okay. It still seems like it might be a little faster than I should (I might need to take breaks) but I can do that. Just used to being a cold turkey type of person. This drug is tough though. You gotta do what you gotta do, and with all the supplements available, it can be kind of hard to know which ones to choose to help you go down on the meds and all.
Raining Frog

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Oct 27, 2012 1:20 am

I know in the past at times I have been in an altered state and felt like I was being poisoned and stopped all my meds at once and would feel so horribly sick physical withdrawal wise that I would give up and go back on because I felt so horrible. I feel extremely sick if I miss a dose. Also, getting off of risperdal I got too excited and made too big of a first and second taper too fast (my psychiatrists suggestions for how much to reduce- shouldnt have trusted her) and had 10 weeks of hell. I have been getting off of risperdal for 5 months now and only have reduced the dose by 1/3- from 3 mg to 2 mg. I really advocate for slow steady withdrawal. For example my new goal is get off of a quarter mg every 3 weeks or so for the next mg, but to accomplish this I will withdrawal .125 each week and a half instead of a .25 jump at once. This has been working well for me and the last quarter mg I have had no side effects getting of of. Good luck raining frog
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby Raining Frog » Oct 27, 2012 2:03 am

Thanks. I feel wonky today after the 3.3 mg reduction and I can't tell whether it's situational or has something to do with the reduction. It seems so slight. I really don't want to reduce any slower if I can get away with it. I hear what you say about cutting cold though, I know if I did that I would probably have to go back on again because I seem to get very loud and angry with withdrawals like that and probably would end up getting attention from the authorities. I wish I was stronger. If I wasn't on so long I could probably get away with cutting cold. I'm not completely anti-drug, but I'm really not a big fan of these types of medications.
Raining Frog

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely