It is currently Sep 21, 2017 8:25 am

Help Im in the Dark!

Help Im in the Dark!

Postby yellowrose » Sep 23, 2012 3:33 pm

Have just come off the phone to someone I know. I told him about my idea to reduce my risperdal by increments of 100micrograms, slowly to reduce the side effects (primarily TD). He said I need to ask some searching questions about whether reducing my risperdal eventually 1/2 or 1/3 will reduce my side effects. He asked me about whether I was clear that this was going to happen. I said I wasn't and he said it seemed I was scrabbling around in the dark.

I feel really confused now because Silver Elf and Chia were saying I could pick a medication and reduce very slowly. I suppose I could ask my psychiatrist about all the options but I don't really trust them anyway. I feel happier taking matters into my own hands and slowly reducing my way of this junk in the way outlined by Will Hall in his You Tube video.
Taoist master in training ------ www.liamartist.blogspot.co.uk
yellowrose

Re: Help Im in the Dark!

Postby yellowrose » Sep 23, 2012 4:02 pm

I'm really worried I am taking all my decisions in the dark
Taoist master in training ------ www.liamartist.blogspot.co.uk
yellowrose

Postby chiaroscuro » Sep 23, 2012 8:39 pm

I don't recall saying that? I generally shy away from giving drug-reduction advice because I've pretty much gone cold turkey off most things I ever took (which did not include neuroleptics) and I know that's not the recommended method.

The truth is, no one is ever going to hand you a detailed fail-safe personalized plan -- no one can. Even doctors are basically taking shots in the dark with this stuff half the time. There's info out there that can help guide you, but ultimately you have to do the work and you have to make the decisions. There are risks involved both with staying on and coming off the drugs -- only you can weigh those risks for yourself and decide on the course of action that's right for you. If you feel like you're in the dark, I'd say it's time to do more research.
chiaroscuro

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm

chiaroscuro wrote:The truth is, no one is ever going to hand you a detailed fail-safe personalized plan -- no one can. Even doctors are basically taking shots in the dark with this stuff half the time. There's info out there that can help guide you, but ultimately you have to do the work and you have to make the decisions. There are risks involved both with staying on and coming off the drugs -- only you can weigh those risks for yourself and decide on the course of action that's right for you. If you feel like you're in the dark, I'd say it's time to do more research.

this said it perfectly.

The only thing I could add is that until the day I started tapering I kept going back and forth about is this a good idea but no one could make that decision for me and I'm glad I've started tapering.
ObjectsInMirrors

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely