It is currently Sep 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Harm Reduction Withdrawal - Scared of Taking the Plunge

Re: Harm Reduction Withdrawal - Scared of Taking the Plunge

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Nov 02, 2012 9:13 pm

I support whatever decision you feel is best for you Yellowrose.
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby SystemsApproach » Nov 02, 2012 9:18 pm

werehorse wrote:I suspect I may be one of the ones that needs to be on meds for life. That's not what I'd choose, but I can't see a way to come off them right now. I don't have any psychological issues so there doesn't seem to be anything left to heal.

I've been set upon & abused here for having the same sentiment - so be careful how you express it -

Here is the latest abuse for daring to suggest that there is a place for a wise use of medication -

ObjectsInMirrors wrote:Your views are oppressive and abusive and disrespectful towards people with madness.

It disgusts me that your statements are allowed to remain here.

People with the disgusting abusive and oppressive ideals like yours are what left me and so many other traumatized.

your views are views that continue abuse and oppression and suffering

YOU REMIND ME OF THE "DOCTORS" WHO ABUSED ME.
http://healingsanctuary.proboards.com/index.cgi
SystemsApproach

Postby Avonleamarilla » Nov 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Wow - after reading the tail-end of this thread, I'm sad to accept the fact that there is bad juju here on Icarus,
but the upsetting reality is that every forum is going to have abusers/trollers etc - and you all know that already!
I don't mean to be condescending...I'm just tired and a bit out-of -it. Forgive me please!

Some of you reading this post here know that I was banned from being a Crazyboards member last week for simply stating I wished to taper off lithium. (I should have never joined since they display banners on their home page that state that they are sponsored by drug companies, but that's a whole other story! :0) I would never tell anyone else to do as far as meds go unless they asked for my perspective.

Anyway, I hope that tensions simmer down for those of you who have felt abused. I felt abused by some moderators on CB and that got me so upset - just what the abuser wanted me to be! Hang in there and be good to yourself.
Avonleamarilla

Postby triciafishDE » Nov 03, 2012 6:54 pm

There is no such thing as "Hypomania"! Its just a con. It's either Mania or Depression.
Hypomania would be feeling good....

Don't take the plunge, take the Leap of Faith.

Pretend you were stranded in a plane crash and didn't have your meds. What would you do then?
You would be too busy with surviving that you would forget you even took meds...and you would survive!
<p><font color="#808080"> </font><span class="UIStory_Message">&lrm;" We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society." Martin Luther King, Jr</span></p>
triciafishDE

Postby Avonleamarilla » Nov 03, 2012 7:11 pm

I am so thrilled to be going off my med gradually, knowing that I am doing everything possible to do it safely for the sake of myself and my two little girls and my husband of 11 years - and I'm not hypomanic or manic about this. Just plain old happy.

Believe me, there is a huge difference between all three states. I think you all know that.

Be strong. Have faith. TriciafishDE's words are wise and they speak to me, as I hope they will speak to you.

take care, everybody!
Avonleamarilla

Postby yellowrose » Dec 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Still considering reducing meds slightly. I have been thinking about this for at least two years. Its probably inertia. Thinking about it again. I am on 4mg on Risperidone. My process work therapist suggested that I maybe try to reduce my 0.25mg.

I don't know whether to wait and see the doctor and do the reduction through them (which might be March) or to buy some water titration stuff online and do it that way.

L
Taoist master in training ------ www.liamartist.blogspot.co.uk
yellowrose

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Dec 29, 2012 1:29 am

yellowrose I would NOT suggest tapering .25 mg all at once from my experience. my psychiatrist suggested tapering .5 mg from 3 to 2.5 as a first taper and it was ok the first 3 weeks but then started having hell (stupidly I decreased another quarter mg) and I had hell for ten weeks in terms of horrible trauma related stuff, panic attacks, mood swings, feeling like people were touching me all the time, etc. I also had insomnia and then for a couple of months after the first taper was ironically hyper sensitive to drowsiness inducing medication when I never was before so then not only was I having insomnia but if I took a over the counter sleep aid or antihystamine (like benadryl) or xanax I would feel drugged and dizzy and like I was moving in slow motion and sick for over 24 hours so I was damned if I took the pills and damned if I didn't. Look, the water titration isnt that complicated if you work out the math like I did. What size pills have you got? I asked my doctor to prescribe my full dose in .25 mg pills so then I score them and make them a smaller dose. After my summer of hell I couldnt afford to not be hugely unstable. I found decreasing slowly but steadily is much better than making a large cut and then waiting a few weeks. If you have .25mg pills I suggest cutting them into 4 and tapering by a 1/4th of a .25 mg pill then waiting a week and then tapering another .25mg. I don't know about you but I am very sensitive to changes in my medication so I could not afford to be making huge cuts and then feeling incredibly ill or having huge flare ups of trauma or whatever.
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Dec 29, 2012 1:30 am

yellowrose I would NOT suggest tapering .25 mg all at once from my experience. my psychiatrist suggested tapering .5 mg from 3 to 2.5 as a first taper and it was ok the first 3 weeks but then started having hell (stupidly I decreased another quarter mg) and I had hell for ten weeks in terms of horrible trauma related stuff, panic attacks, mood swings, feeling like people were touching me all the time, etc. I also had insomnia and then for a couple of months after the first taper was ironically hyper sensitive to drowsiness inducing medication when I never was before so then not only was I having insomnia but if I took a over the counter sleep aid or antihystamine (like benadryl) or xanax I would feel drugged and dizzy and like I was moving in slow motion and sick for over 24 hours so I was damned if I took the pills and damned if I didn't. Look, the water titration isnt that complicated if you work out the math like I did. What size pills have you got? I asked my doctor to prescribe my full dose in .25 mg pills so then I score them and make them a smaller dose. After my summer of hell I couldnt afford to not be hugely unstable. I found decreasing slowly but steadily is much better than making a large cut and then waiting a few weeks. If you have .25mg pills I suggest cutting them into 4 and tapering by a 1/4th of a .25 mg pill then waiting a week and then tapering another .25mg. I don't know about you but I am very sensitive to changes in my medication so I could not afford to be making huge cuts and then feeling incredibly ill or having huge flare ups of trauma or whatever.
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby yellowrose » Dec 29, 2012 6:40 am

Hi OIM,

quick reoly...i'll come back later. but what reason would I have to ask for my pills in .25mg doses? My doctor might challenge me on that one?
Taoist master in training ------ www.liamartist.blogspot.co.uk
yellowrose

Postby triciafishDE » Dec 29, 2012 3:37 pm

L, do the doctors over there question people when they want lower doses? I thought it was mostly the USA where psychiatrists oppress their patients.
It's sad to think we have to lie and get anxious when we want to do something good for ourselves, well actually take control over our own lives. kyrie elieson!
<p><font color="#808080"> </font><span class="UIStory_Message">&lrm;" We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society." Martin Luther King, Jr</span></p>
triciafishDE

Previous

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely