It is currently Sep 22, 2017 4:06 am

My Med Reduction Journey- Thoughts always appreciated!

My Med Reduction Journey- Thoughts always appreciated!

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Jun 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Skip to the *** for the important part.

well the internet just ate a long post I wrote. here it goes again.
I've been getting off meds the last 6 weeks. started on adderal xr, lamictal, luvox cr, prazosin, risperdal, birth control for pms, xanax prn and other meds for medical reasons. adderall was first to go. stopped cold turkey from 20 mg because i ran out. was very tired for a week and began dissociating more. had derealization where people's faced looked distorted. this has been ongoing. have derealization walking outside.

risperdal was next. i am anxious when psychotic so i figured if i get psychotic coming off, at least i'll have other meds to cushion the fall. under psychiatrists suggestion went from 3 to 2.5. i was switched from abilify to 3 mg of risperdal july 2011 after a suicide attempt and psychosis that landed me in hospital. abilify never controlled my psychosis. I first became psychotic in april 2009. to give you a context i developed major depression and was almost immediately started on antidepressants in september 2006. developed a bunch of other shit a long the way. my sexual assault was august 2007. my psychosis has always had major ptsd overlap. between april 2009 and august 2011 there were between 4 and 6 times I was psychotic, I can't remember exactly how many. every time i'd be psychotic, my ptsd would be through the roof, i'd be extremely suicidal, i'd get hospitalized, they'd pump up the drugs, it was usually (if not always) premenstrual, the worst part of it would be over in a week, in one case hallucinations lingered for months however. on risperdal however I was never psychotic.

risperdal is the med i most want to be off of. I am at extremely high risk for diabeties and i know risperdal makes that risk even higher. i'm very scared of developing tardive dyskensia. also, risperdal killed my creativity and i really fucking hate that. i used to do so much collaging- sewing- photography- write poems- all of that vanished almost immediately on risperdal. yes, i also started college so less time for that stuff, but even when i try to sit down and do art, it just doesn't come.

anyway so ptsd is through the roof getting off of risperdal. if you follow my posts you know this. dramatic increase in body memories, had some rape nightmares, horrible panic attacks about being assaulted, i've posted about being trapped in feeling like i'm definitely going to be committed to hospitals and abused further there if alive but may go to hell if i kill myself trap and those melt downs, and then having a major panic attack for 4 hours where i ended up moving lots of furniture against doors and barricading myself in a closet hysterically crying for two hours, and now having some bad mood swings. depression has been much worse since i first started to get off of risperdal. now having periods when i get enraged- hit things, kick things, throw things which is very unlike me. been suicidal again. cut myself for the second time this year and it was the worst i've cut myself since 2010. after cutting myself in the one session bought razor blades and lots of bandages and feel okay with the idea of getting addicted to cutting again.

*****THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART****
so in the last week i'm down to 2.25 mg risperdal. all of the stuff i already said sucks but the combination of dissociation from lack of adderall but primarily risperdal is actually getting dangerous and today life threatening. I have started having flashbacks where i stop being able to see and hear etc for 5- 30 seconds. or i will just black out anyway. sometimes it happens in conversations and i will reorient and have no clue what the other person is talking about. but it is happening more and more frequently. today i got dissociative on the bus and got off and went to cross the street. there were two lanes of traffic each way, lane closest to me was at a standstill, cross to second lane without looking because i was in a daze- if i had stepped out seconds earlier i'd be dead or seriously injured by a speeding car. got to the median, blacked out. know i blacked out because i was watching cars a few blocks away and when i reoriented the cars had already passed. when i reoriented i was stepping into speeding traffic and almost got hit a second time. i dont own a car and am out in the city crossing streets etc all the time so this is clearly dangerous. i also worry i will black out and someone will take advantage of me or i'll do something else dangerous. in the past i have had times where i've had very severe dissociation where for hours i would black out (usually not doing much- just staying in one room) or would alternating between blacking out and severe out of body experiences where i'm floating above myself watching myself strangling myself and unable to stop my body from doing this.

I will start another thread about how to deal with dissociation, but i don't know. my parents are really freaked out and think i should go back up on risperdal. i dont know. the inrease in distressing experiences is unfortunate- but i'm not 100% convinced its due to risperdal. its a major decrease in how i was doing, but i dont have anything to do right now, and i'm not overly worried about that.i don't want to go back up on risperdal. But i also don't want to be hit by a car or something else happen when i black out.

i guess i'm just looking for thoughts. have other people had ptsd getting off of antipsychotics? does it go away? should i risk serious injury/death from my mini black outs? (i dont feel like that will happen, but when i'm honest, yes i almost got hit twice today by cars that were going very fast)

thanks
Last edited by ObjectsInMirrors on Jun 28, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ObjectsInMirrors

Re: In Danger From Med Reduction From PTSD- thoughts?

Postby silverelf » Jun 25, 2012 11:30 pm

I'm not sure it is due to cutting meds either, but I know that there is no race to get off of them, and everything we know about safe withdrawal generally points to slower rather than faster tapers. Maybe hold on the dose you are on until you are feeling a bit more stable and less zoned-out? If you read, for example, beyondmeds, you'll see that Gianna took over 6 years to get off her cocktail of meds. I'm not saying it will take that long if you want to get off meds, but likely you are still adjusting to life without the adderall. It sounds like you have the strongest feelings about risperdal, and i think it is good to focus there because you are right, anti-psychotics can be rough meds, but please don't whiplash your self by going down too quick, ending up in a crisis state, and ending up back in the hospital. You will likely have to start your taper over in that case /and/ deal with more nagging doubts about if it is possible, the doubts of your support network, etc. Not to mention the terrible unpleasantness of the whole deal.

It can be really really hard to parse out whether or not drugs are helping or hurting, whether a reduction has made things worse, whether things are getting better overall, but just worse at the moment, or worse overall, etc etc even in the best of times.

The risks associated with anti-psychotics ARE related to dose, so you can know that you are reducing those risks by reducing the dose, even when you have not stopped taking the med yet. Please don't go faster than your own body/mind wants you to, brains are amazing and complicated electro-chemical organs with lots of complex feedback mechanisms. They take a while to rewire.
Do not spend a lot
of time in an asylum writing cruel poems
if you can help it, one Artaud is enough.
silverelf

Should I lie to my therapist about meds?

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Jun 28, 2012 4:04 pm

Silverelf- thanks for this response- i forgot to respond. I didn't know that the dangers were dose related so that is helpful to know even less is a good step. I am going to make this thread just a catch all for me reducing meds. I am going to hold steady at this dose until at least the 3 week mark and make sure I am stable before the next taper. I could do an even smaller taper I guess. What do you think? I'm stabilizing more now- it was the first week that was really bad and i'm not sure if it was related. I could lower by .125mg next time- or I could try- the pill is so small- I think i can use the pill cutter to cut .5 into 4 but it might crumble.

The new development in this journey is that my psychiatrist took over a day to call in more risperdal. I asked her to prescribe a 90 day supply of risperdal 1mg twice a day and .25 mg once (or twice) a day to give me more. My insurance usually only covers 90 day supplies. I got an email from her saying that she does not support me in going off risperdal any more and that she called in 2mg and .5 mg so I can go back up to 3mg. well that sucks, but assuming she called in a 90 day supply thats fabulous because I can obviously cut the pills. If she had called in 3s that would have been a lot harder. With tapering the meds will hopefully last 3.5 months and that will give me time to figure out what next.

I don't have a problem staying with my psychiatrist and lying to her but the problem is when she starts calling in 3s it will be much harder to split those. Also I think it would be good to have a psychiatrist I can be honest with and who supports me and who will help me. My friend has a psychopharm who has been supportive of her being off meds- i dont know how good he is but maybe I should just go for it? my parents will put up a big fight about me seeing some random person especially if it's out of pocket. The other problem is my psychiatrist refuses to see me if she can't talk to my therapist. Well, if I stay with my psychiatrist I would have to lie to my therapist too. I think that's really bad news. I want my therapist to be able to know what's going on and if she found out i was lying to her i dont know what would happen but maybe she wouldn't see me anymore and I do really like my therapist although she has at time really really pushed the meds on me. I don't want to lie to my therapist. I don't want to lose my therapist. So, I guess I need a new psychopharm. bummer.
ObjectsInMirrors

Re: My Med Reduction Journey- Thoughts always appreciated!

Postby Anything51 » Jun 29, 2012 3:06 am

Just a suggestion here. You can cut your larger mg. pills - I do. Also, as silverelf mentioned, do what your body says is OK. It is taking me more like 5-8 weeks between cut-backs on mine to taper off. I wait until I'm more free of symptoms before I cut back again.

mad love and support, OIM.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall ~ Robert Frost
Anything51

Postby silverelf » Jun 29, 2012 2:49 pm

OIM: You can use titration to lower your dose by small and precise amounts if it feels comfortable to you. This is often used in benzo withdrawal since slow seems to be better. It feels a little science experiment-y at first, but you get used to it.

http://beyondmeds.com/2008/05/14/water- ... ithdrawal/

If you don't want to use water titration, I would buy a cheap and accurate scale off the internet, something like this

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Ge ... B0012TDNAM

You want it to measure to at least .001 grams. Then you can weigh your pill and shave it until you get to the new weight. Note that sometimes the active med in a pill isn't totally 100% evenly distributed throughout the pill, but this is still a lot more accurate than eyeballing.
Do not spend a lot
of time in an asylum writing cruel poems
if you can help it, one Artaud is enough.
silverelf

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Jun 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Hey silver elf- i'm concerned about the water titration. i don't really understand how to do it. I don't understand how to figure out how much water to use and how much to take away. In terms of the scale i could figure that out when you say shave the pill what do you mean? shave it with what? and then just figure out what the weight of one pill is and change the weight accordingly?
ObjectsInMirrors

informed consent

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Jul 01, 2012 8:57 pm

about informed consent

When I was thinking about whether to start antidepressants at age 13 people told me i probably won't need them forever. they didn't tell me that you become dependent on them and it's incredibly difficult to get off. When I was first prescribed abilify, I didn't know what was happening when I got akestesia - they didn't warn me about that very significant side effect that they in fact had to prescribe a whole new drug to combat! You know what... I don't think I was ever psychotic before I was on abilify and had been on seroquel and a bunch of other meds. Could the meds have kick started my psychosis? No one told me this before I started taking handfuls of pills a day in highschool, and now my doctor says I can't come off meds or she won't see me anymore and that if i try to get off I'll have a psychotic break and I need meds for the rest of my life.

i had a therapy session on the phone yesterday and ended up telling my therapist my psychiatrist won't support me in getting off meds and she was like, "well, isn't it curious how your psychiatrist, your parents, and I, four people are all concerned about you reducing your meds and you are on the other side? why do you think that is?" and i was like "I am NOT fighting with you about meds any more." and she said "well aren't you curious about why all of us think you shouldn't get off meds?" and i'm like "No, I'm not CURIOUS. 3 of you a MDs and you are a PhD and have seen drugs help people and are oriented toward the medical model and that is how you were trained. you've made your reasoning very clear about why you don't think i should get off meds, I AM NOT doing this again." so, psychiatrist is out, and I'M SO FUCKING SICK of my therapist arguing about my meds. SO FUCKING SICK. I think i really need to not ever mention medication in therapy, that is really the answer because i dont want to be on more meds so what the fuck. I'M SO FUCKING SICK OF THIS. ITS MY FUCKING BODY I DON'T WANT TO BE AT AN EVEN HIGHER RISK OF GETTING DIABETIES WHEN IT RUNS IN MY FAMILY AND I'M MORE THAN 100 POUNDS OVERWEIGHT. I DON'T WANT TO GET TD. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE LASTING METABOLIC EFFECTS. I WANT MY CREATIVITY BACK. I DON'T WANT PERMANENT BODY/BRAIN DAMAGE. I DON'T WANT TO PAY FOR PILLS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. I DON'T WANT TO STAND ON LINE AT THE CVS. WHAT THE FUCK ITS MY FUCKING BODY LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE.
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby hogmaw » Jul 02, 2012 5:08 pm

it sucks that they aren't supporting you and lending their knowledge towards what you want. awesome that you can see through it even though it's so alienating and scary. i'm sorry. mad love.
hogmaw

Postby LilMissMoonshine » Jul 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah, OIM, I'm sorry she's giving you that "aren't you curious why we ALL want this for you - hm, maybe you are not thinking rationally" bullshit. Ugh. I'm sorry you feel alone in this. Well, I support you going off meds, I think your concerns ARE real ones. I know I'm not a professional, but you have the right to choose to do what you want with your body. Damn, I wish you could find a doctor and therapist who will support your decision, and it doesn't seem like you are going to convince your parents either (who are doctors themselves, right?) I'm having the same problem - all the pdoc's around my area just seem to want to dope me up again, and the therapist I went to last month suggested right off the bat, without me even bringing it up, that I go back on a medication. It's like they can't conceive why anyone would want anything else for themselves. It's sad. And still I might decide to do it - after having a few more days like this - but damn, y'all, give me a choice first!
Tell me, what else should I have done?/Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?/Tell me, what is it you plan to do/With your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
LilMissMoonshine

Postby triciafishDE » Jul 02, 2012 6:11 pm

I went off risperdal cold turkey.
I was only on it for 3 weeks. It was making me lactate and hallucinate.

Try benadryl for withdrawal.

You know your body best.

I have known people that go cold turkey.

Just prepare yourself for the worst. Know that withdrawal sucks and can last. You are not going crazy, it's withdrawal.
Those nice drug pamphlets call it "discontinuation symptoms".

Sometimes not telling family and friends you are stopping your drugs is best.
You don't want their negative influence.
Do what your gut tells you.
Good luck and God Speed!
<p><font color="#808080"> </font><span class="UIStory_Message">&lrm;" We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society." Martin Luther King, Jr</span></p>
triciafishDE

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Jul 08, 2012 11:11 am

Hey hogmaw thanks for your support. It was extremely frustrating when my therapist was constantly fighting with me.

LMM thanks for your empathy. most people see no alternative but meds, clearly. it's maddening that i have tons of choices of people who would prescribe me more meds, but so far i've made six calls and can't find someone who would prescribe me LESS meds. I know what you mean, I too might end up not being able to get off meds but that should be my choice. What happened to doing the least invasive treatment possible? meds have a lot of side effects. its not the least invasive.

hey tricia, going off cold turkey is absolutely not an option. I've been on risperdal for a year and have had a major flar up in symptoms decreasing the dose just a bit at a time. I am sure i would have very bad physical withdrawal and get psychotic if i stopped cold turkey and that would be a serious problem because i am not prepared to be locked up and even the little flare up of symptoms i've had with the homicidal and the horrible ptsd is so bad. thanks for the benadryl suggestion but what would the purpose be of taking benadryl? it used to not make me tired at all but lately i have become super sensitive to drowsiness inducing medication and it would probably make me too tired. i guess i could try using it to sleep. but antihystimines like benadryl tend to make me feel very depressed and very dissociative and i think i need to avoid antihystamines as much as possible. how long to withdrawal symptoms last? i need to do more research

_______

I had a nightmare that i became psychotic and was severely out of it and was delusional and couldn't open my eyes for some reason. it was at a beach and these huge waves kept crashing over me. After being homicidal this week and also feeling like i was being commanded to kill myself, i am very very very scared of becoming fully psychotic. I am going to start tapering a lot slower. I am reading an Unquiet Mind and the author talks so much about how not wanting to take lithium almost cost her her life her job her relationships and she lost years of time because she was refusing to take the med at times. it's making me really scared of getting off. I'm so scared i'm going to be locked up. how long does withdrawal last? i'm worried now.

my therapist has stopped pushing meds on me other than one night suggesting xanax which I thought was a good suggestion. she has been working hard and talked to me 3 times outside of session this week as well as making our end of week session significantly longer.I feel really grateful that although she disagrees with me she is taking my wishes seriously. She has asked me to consider not getting off meds for about 3 months. she asks this because she says now that she is perceiving me differently after the rorshach test and now that she knows what the withdrawal will start to look like she wants to work with me on teaching me skills so i can manage the withdrawal symptoms such as learning to focus more on external relationships and get out of my head, cognitive techniques to counter self hatred, learning to express my anger in ways that are effective and not scary to me, positive imagery, and getting my parents to stop being assholes. i asked her why we haven't done this in the last year and she said that it's because she lately was figuring out the best way to treat me. Her finally giving me the treatment plan made me feel hopeful.

I'm weighing the pros and cons. A big con is that 3 months- october- won't be a great time to start decreasing meds. summer is the good time. i would try to hold at the dose of risperdal i'm at and not go back up. I have time to decide. I am not going to decrease regardless until august probably. the dream really scared me.
ObjectsInMirrors

Gearing Up For Third Taper

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Aug 12, 2012 8:12 pm

May 2012 Starting Psych Meds
Adderall XR 20mg
Risperdal 3mg
Lamictal 250 mg
Luvox CR 100mg
Prazosin 4mg
Xanax up to 1.5 mg as needed (use varies any where from 1- 5 times per month)
Loestrin Fe (oral contraceptive) taken solely for extreme PMS

Getting Off Of Adderall and First Risperdal Taper
So I've been on my med reduction journey for about 15 weeks now. I got off Adderall XR basically cold turkey because I ran out and then adjusted to that the first two weeks. Since then I have been tapering Risperdal for the last 13 weeks. My first Risperdal taper was on 5/27/12 from 3mg to 2.5mg as per my psychiatrist's suggestion (what a fucking idiot). I held there for three weeks with minimal side effects. I had been having an increase in dissociation and PTSD symptoms since getting off the Adderall plus a lot of derealization with people's faces becoming distorted.

Second Risperdal Taper Side Effects
on 6/17/12 I tapered from 2.5 to 2.25 even though that night I was starting to have a drastic increase in PTSD symptoms. In the last ten weeks I have been through an incredible amount of hell. For the first several weeks my PTSD was absolutely out of control. I started being suicidal for the first time in a long time. I was having dissociative black outs where I almost got hit by cars. I was having horrible flashbacks and panic attacks, multiple times to the point where I pushed a lot of furniture in front of the door and hid in the closet because I was so terrified someone was going to come into my apartment and hurt me.

Had really bad insomnia getting off the Risperdal right away. In the beginning I could occasionally use an over the counter sleep aid. But after several weeks of Risperdal taper I suddenly became hyper sensitive to drowsiness inducing drugs, including for several weeks my Risperdal (Which never made me tired before) as well as over the counter sleep aids, Benadryl, and Xanax. I was sleep deprived due to waking up too early and not being able to get back to sleep.

I started having bouts of extreme rage- hitting the walls, throwing things, and cutting myself for the first time in a long time. huge increase in panic attacks, for several weeks I would usually have at least one panic attack a day, sometimes multiple times a day. became very bothered by other people being rude. My sensory sensitivities got really intense again, such as with high pitched noises. I had a week where I felt like people were constantly touching me and it wasn't tolerable.

I was fighting with a friend a lot who ended up being emotionally abusive and the friendship ended which was also causing a lot of stress as was not having enough structure and being lonely. I became intensely suicidal for a while, planning to hang myself or jump in front of the subway. I felt extreme despair, an increase in depression. I started having thoughts that were psychotic in nature after a few weeks- violent thoughts towards others, feeling like I was being commanded to kill myself, extremely overwhelming emotions coming from no where feeling like they are paralyzing me and I can't speak or express what's wrong which is incredibly unlike me.

In the 8-9th week of the second taper (around 7/27-29 and 8/2) I started having visions again. The first vision was of green balls of light that were flashing and streaming back and forth that I was very very scared of. After that I had several days of seeing cats and dark human figures and one child out of my peripheral vision. I wasn't particularly scared of the visions except at night. I tried to take a curious stance about the visions, reading a Rufus May article about handling altered states and going to church for the first time in ages. I was having many more fights with my parents. It was a lot a lot of hell.

What Got Me Through Second Risperdal Taper

One of the main things that got me through my second Risperdal taper was having a really really incredible therapist. I see my therapist twice a week and in some of the worst weeks sometimes I would talk to her 5 times or more a week. She made herself extremely available to me and helped me manage the acute symptoms.

Having a local Icarus group was also extremely helpful. When my therapist was really pushing the drugs it was really useful to have peers who supported me wanting to get off of them here and online. going to my local group meetings meant having something to do and people to be around and another place to vent, which I desperately needed.

Before I started my Risperdal taper I made sure to finish my mad map. I don't use it as much as I should but it is useful to look at it and know, okay, these experiences are like these extreme states I've had before, and here are the basic things I have been forgetting about that I absolutely must attend to.

It helped to have things to look forward to and to have a class and later starting some volunteering.

Some skills I used to manage the intense emotions were deep breathing, a weighted blanket, rocking on a rocking bench, reiki for a couple of days, taking walks, going to a dog park so I could pet some dogs, cleaning, cutting, blasting music in my headphones and dancing, watching TV on my computer, going on the Icarus forums, calling and spending time with friends, and taking showers.

Gearing Up For Third Taper
Over the last week I’ve really stabilized for the first time in months. I’ve been going back and forth about if I should taper again right now. Of course my parents say no and my therapist says she would like to see me feel good for the rest of the summer. I’ve decided I will go forth with water titration since there isn’t a small enough increment of Risperdal for me to decrease on in pills. Classes start early September and I will have a LOT of responsibilities this fall which means I cannot afford to be breaking down. So what I think I’m going to have to do is slow to a glacial taper via water titration. I’m not sure what I will taper. I’ve thought about probably tapering .15 and seeing how that goes. I will not taper at all from Dec 1st to Dec 20 or so after finals are over. In November maybe I will taper .05 only. Winter break will be a chance to speed up the tapers. I don’t know, maybe I should taper .25 but I can’t deal with ten weeks of melt down and that is more than 10% decrease. I think probably the .25 decrease was bad timing because I was starting to have an extreme state the night I tapered and tapered anyway and also I think my first taper was too much. I think I will try .15. There also is of course the option of stopping the Risperdal taper and starting to taper another med. I think that could be an option during school months, but I am most desperate to get off of the Risperdal. After Risperdal the next taper will be Lamictal then Luvox. Prazosin and Xanax I might not touch.

August 12, 2012 Current Psych Meds
Risperdal 2.25mg
Lamictal 250 mg
Luvox CR 100mg
Prazosin 4mg
Xanax up to 1.5 mg as needed (use varies any where from 2-6 times per month)

Loestrin Fe (oral contraceptive) taken solely for extreme PMS
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby Khalsa44 » Aug 13, 2012 11:59 pm

I see a transpersonal counsellor, a crystal healer and a wholistic psychiatrist and they are all supportive of me gradually coming off meds
The drs in hospital, my past psychiatrist, my parents and the mental health crisis team all want me in meds
I found it really helpful to do research and find people who support me
It's possible to find support people who will honour your choice, they are out there and they want to help
Khalsa44

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Sep 08, 2012 10:00 pm

Thank you for your support Khalsa, I didn't see your comment before now. You are right. I have to find people who support my journey.

So extremely angry about being a patient and all the mental health system has fucked me over. I was planning to wait until next weekend to do a med taper, but I think I might do a small taper tonight just to feel in control. Can't deicde between .15 and .1 of risperdal. Either way its a tiny reduction. I had considered pausing the risperdal taper and tapering of lamictal for a while because probably its the lamictal that is causing cognitive problems, but it's the risperdal that killed my creativity and I desperately need that back. I think I will go for .15
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Sep 09, 2012 11:29 am

On 9/8 made my third risperdal taper. Decided to taper .125 as it is between the two doses I was debating about and also allows me to make a dry cut. It was done partly in anger over the trauma from being a mental patient and rage at the effects of the medication even though I think it would have been smarter to wait until next weekend. If things get too bad I'll go back up a bit. Current dose of risperdal: 2.125
ObjectsInMirrors

Risperdal Taper 4

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Oct 06, 2012 12:53 am

On 10/3 made fourth risperdal taper. Decided to taper .125mg. Current dose 2mg. It's incredible to think in 4 months I've only tapered a single miligram- 1/3 of my dose. I really lost a whole month of August though where I was stable but didn't taper at all because I was waiting for graduated clyinders etc for water titration which I haven't even used yet at this point. I experienced absolutely no withdrawal from taper 3. I have been overwhelmed and getting really fired up about injustcies in the world but I don't see those things as bad or related to risperdal taper. At this point I want to try to speed up the taper a bit. I decided that instead of doing a .25mg taper and holding for 3 weeks I would do a .125taper and hold for a week and a half and then do another .125 taper. I do think gradual is better. Maybe having some insomnia from risperdal taper- not sure. For a while I had really bad cognitive problems which almost led to a lamictal reduction but I'm saving that for now. Maybe will taper lamictal next just to try to get more clear headed.

Timeline of Med Reduction Journey
5/12/12- Stopped Adderal XR 20 mg cold turkey
5/27/12 from 3mg to 2.5mg
6/17/12 from 2.5 to 2.25
9/8/12 from 2.25 to 2.125
10/6/12 from 2.125 to 2

Proposed Timeline
10/24 down to 1.1875
11/14 down to 1.625
12/5 down to 1.375
12/5 to 12/20 hold
1/20 down to 1
2/20 down to .75
3/20 down to .5
4/20 down to .375
4/20-5/10 hold
6/1 down to .125
6/21 off
Total withdrawal time from about 13 months.

Next Med- Lamictal which I think will go much faster. Following med- Luvox CR- No idea how this will go- concerned about increase in Obsessive/Compulsive symptoms. Final med- prazosin. Not dead set on coming off this med. I haven't heard aboutt long term mental effects from blood pressure medications but then I haven't really looked. This med is most important to me. Would like to still have xanax prescribed. I use it usually twice a month.
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Oct 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Timeline of Med Reduction Journey
5/12/12- Stopped Adderal XR 20 mg cold turkey
5/27/12 from 3mg to 2.5mg
6/17/12 from 2.5 to 2.25
9/8/12 from 2.25 to 2.125
10/6/12 from 2.125 to 2
*10/21 Reduced Lamictal from 250mg to 225mg. Risperdal is on a hold at 2mg.

Decided to reduce lamictal because it fucks up my memory and I'm sick of that. Not expecting a big problem with the reduction. Going to try to reduce anothe 25 in a week or so and then hold for a few weeks.

current psych med regimine
risperdal 2mg
lamictal 225mg
luvox cr 100mg
prazosin 4mg

xanax .5-1.5 as needed (used about once a month)
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby yellowrose » Oct 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Its really interesting to read about your med withdrawal OIM. I am thinking of starting a similar withdrawal soon.

Something is holding me back though.

L
Taoist master in training ------ www.liamartist.blogspot.co.uk
yellowrose

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Nov 07, 2012 1:24 am

Sometime around 10/25 - 10/27 - Risperdal down to 1.875
today 11/7 risperdal down to 1.75

HURRAY FOR BEING ON LESS THAN 2mg OF RISPERDAL!!

my pdoc said he thinks risperdal is probably the bigger culprit for memory than lamictal so focus on that. New goal- get off a quarter mg a month!
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Nov 15, 2012 10:09 am

11/15 since last taper trauma symptoms have been getting more and more intense, now unbearable and leading me to be so extremely suicidal I almost impulsively attempted to kill myself. Flashbacks, anger, hopelessness, night mares, now sleep paralysis with hallucinations of people hurting me (fuck no), feeling people touching me, not being able to touch myself, hypervigilience, extreme fear of being hurt again. there were already external triggers and the decrease in risperdal just pushed things over the edge I think and I don't have enough support. I have all the equipment I need to do water titration so maybe its time to do that. I had gone from 1.825 to 1.75 and becaust the pills are .25 I was able to make one more dry cut into quarters.

For right now increased from 1.75 to 1.8125- hopefully this will help make the trauma symptoms more manageable.
ObjectsInMirrors

Next

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely