It is currently Sep 21, 2017 8:04 am

PTSD & Meds Reduction

PTSD & Meds Reduction

Postby radioinmyhead » Feb 13, 2012 5:04 am

Hello,

I've been reading online and offline about people weaning off meds (from what I understand) can experience PTSD, say, from Lamictal.

My question is: If someone like me is "diagnosed" as PTSD, would my PTSD experience worsen with my would-be attempt to wean off medication?

Is that a reasonable question/concern to ask/wonder about?

Thanks,
r.
Further the scientific progress, deeper the tunnel vision.
radioinmyhead

Re: PTSD & Meds Reduction

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Sep 07, 2013 10:50 pm

In my experience- yes. when tapering slowly and steadily on risperdal the only withdrawal I had was insomnia and trauma flare ups where PTSD symptoms could get mildly to severely worse for a couple of weeks but would settle down after about two weeks of a small decrease. I havent started lamictal tapering yet- will let people know for future reference if that also sets of trauma stuff.
ObjectsInMirrors

Postby radioinmyhead » Sep 08, 2013 1:58 am

hi oim,

could you describe the "trauma flare ups"? what do you mean by them?

are they traumatic recollection/re-enactment? or just severe anxiety and panic?

thanks for sharing,
=r
radioinmyhead

Postby - » Sep 13, 2013 12:46 am

My med reduction is off of medical marijuana. My habit was 3-4 grams a day to about 3-4 grams per week to nothing. I have exactly three months off and a trigger increase I guess.

I call them flares as well and it's getting worse. For example, running to the window to see of cops are coming to the house, sitting up in bed in the middle of the night because I swore I heard someone spray painting what I thought to be neo nazi graffiti on my house, ran to window. I'm in an increasing state of fear, worry and heightened sense of awareness, paranoia. Vivid nightmare last night. Fear!
-

Postby radioinmyhead » Sep 13, 2013 3:51 am

I was watching Homeland S2 this week.

That scene in the first episode, where Carrie is on the rooftop in Beruit, and she's getting anxious and upset because her team doesn't trust her insight...

I related to that experience. It was unreal. I think the series does well with showing the breathing behavior in the characters... because those moments seem to really reflect--not necessarily just the ill people-- but, IMHO, anyone in emotional distress under hopeless/helpless situation... but to the nth degree.

=r
radioinmyhead

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely