It is currently Sep 21, 2017 8:09 am

Suggestions for sleeping on Risperdal withdrawl

Suggestions for sleeping on Risperdal withdrawl

Postby katmold » Jan 10, 2012 3:47 am

I am concerned about going off Risperdal. This is my second day off of it and I can't sleep a wink. I never have trouble sleeping. I have been up for over 24 hours and I don't even feel slightly tired and I have no appetite. When I first went on Risperdal I was sleeping for 12 hours straight and had an enormous appetite. I mean completely outside of the normal enormous. I want to be off this creepy junk and back in my own brain without the fear of brain damage, muscle stiffness, diabetes, weight gain and the rest of the how to shorten ones life span. This is ridiculous. I am very upset at the establishments flagrant use of power and irresponsibility.
We cannot live without morality, but we cannot define morality objectively – thus we remain eternally
condemned to empty lives of pompous hypocrisy, cynical dominance or pious slavery.
katmold

Re: Suggestions for sleeping on Risperdal withdrawl

Postby stripes » Jan 10, 2012 7:53 am

Last edited by stripes on Feb 03, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stripes

Postby katmold » Jan 13, 2012 4:11 pm

I did taper off. It was just the two first days of being off the medication that I couldn't sleep. My body seems to have regulated itself now. It took me about 3 months to taper off and I am so glad that junk is out of my system. I feel great, I have way more energy like a huge foggy weight has lifted off me. I can even start exercising again. I am so much happier.
We cannot live without morality, but we cannot define morality objectively – thus we remain eternally
condemned to empty lives of pompous hypocrisy, cynical dominance or pious slavery.
katmold

Postby stripes » Jan 14, 2012 2:00 pm

Last edited by stripes on Feb 03, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stripes

Postby maamyyrä » Jan 14, 2012 2:10 pm

that's great to hear.

in case sleep problems reoccur: in his going off meds video will says it's quite frequent that there can be problems after completely going off a med, even if the dose before was already really low. he suggests to stay on an extremely low dose for a very very long time, to try occasionally to go off it and to go back on the extremely low dose if problems reoccur. and not see it as "failing" if this is repeated various times. it's just careful because sleep is important.
you can't make grass grow more quickly by pulling on it
maamyyrä

Postby triciafishDE » Jan 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Congrats to you Katmold!
Risperdal made me lactate and hallucinate.
I went off cold turkey but was only on it 3 wks.

Glad you made it through the hellish part, but keep in mind it can take awhile for your body/brain to heal.

Nice to hear a happy story! So glad for you!
<p><font color="#808080"> </font><span class="UIStory_Message">&lrm;" We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society." Martin Luther King, Jr</span></p>
triciafishDE

Postby myakka60 » Dec 02, 2012 10:27 am

My daughter has only been taking this drug for 7 days (2 mgs per day) - we are certain this is not a good medication or a drug that she wants or needs to take. Can we taper off more quickly than if she was a long term user. I am thinking of tapering over the next 3 to 4 days. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions - any help at all.

She suffered 1 acute onset episode of physchosis - paranoid delusions, no voices, doesn't describe hallucinations - serious sleep deprivation, no sleep for 72 hours.
They gave her this medication without any counseling. No diagnosis - no real medical tests. The only thing we know for certain is vitamin B12 deficiency and possible high fasting blood gluclose level. Vegeterian diet.

Alcohol use that may be problematic - she was a beer sipper - 2 to 3 beers per night. Suffered from anxiety that was well controlled with relaxation therapy until she began using prescription marajuana - used the marajuana as prescribed for approximately 6 months.

Please HELP!
myakka60

Postby maamyyrä » Dec 02, 2012 12:54 pm

hey myakka,
i don't know if you can find the help you need here. nobody here knows your daughter. you do not even tell us how old she is. from what you say it sounds like she definitely is an age that she should have a voice in here. it is her body. her body signals. only she can really know. what does she want?
there are so many factors. going off a drug is so individual.
did you / your daughter check out the harm reduction guide? http://theicarusproject.net/alternative ... tric-drugs
you can't make grass grow more quickly by pulling on it
maamyyrä

Postby chiaroscuro » Dec 02, 2012 8:50 pm

myakka60 wrote:Suffered from anxiety that was well controlled with relaxation therapy until she began using prescription marajuana - used the marajuana as prescribed for approximately 6 months.

Ugh... now that marijuana decriminalization is finally starting to happen, I hope prescribers and supporters will ease up on the "harmless herb" propaganda and start getting real with people about the potential dangers. I'm one of those people who gets severe anxiety and paranoia bordering on psychosis from even one puff -- it horrifies me to think of this being casually prescribed to people who don't know the risks and if they have a bad reaction get put on even more dangerous drugs. NOT COOL.

As for whether it's safe for your daughter to taper faster, I have no idea, but I second maamyyra's recommendation of the harm reduction guide and I really hope things go smoothly for your daughter, it's good that she has a parent who's so concerned for her well being.
chiaroscuro

Postby myakka60 » Dec 03, 2012 6:09 am

My daughter is 29 years old; I did check out the harm reduction guide - I just wasn't sure the taper time needed to be longer than the time she has taken the drug as prescribed. My daughter wants off this drug - and is asking for my help. She was forced into in-patient care where they made it evident she had to take the meds or not be allowed out of "lock-down" as she called it. We (the family) are trying to arrange for quality health care as quickly as possible but in the mean time she is already experiencing side effects - I discovered this site while she was being held in the in patient facility. At this point I want to support any decision she makes regarding taking this drug . . . . .

Or maybe I am really looking for help for myself - what can I do to help her? At this point I am very hesitant to trust the medical profession, the "doctor" at the in-patient facility "didn't have time" to visit with patient families regarding questions about the drugs they immediately started giving her. As her husband said, "WHAT IS THE BIG SECRET-MY WIFE SIGNED A HIPPA RELEASE WHY ARE YOU NOT EXPLAINING ANYTHING TO US" !!!!
Seeing my daughter after 7 days of drug "therapy" - the big secret is she is being poisoned . . . .
myakka60

Postby LilMissMoonshine » Dec 03, 2012 10:25 am

myakka60 wrote:As her husband said, "WHAT IS THE BIG SECRET-MY WIFE SIGNED A HIPPA RELEASE WHY ARE YOU NOT EXPLAINING ANYTHING TO US" !!!!
Seeing my daughter after 7 days of drug "therapy" - the big secret is she is being poisoned . . . .

That is ridiculous and scary, but I'm not surprised. Don't have much advice here for you - I was on a low dose of Risperdal very briefly when I was incarcerated - er - IP on a psych unit and never filled the presciption for the crap - but I just wanted to wish you luck with your daughter. I would encourage her to join this site if she wants so she can speak for herself about her experience, and third the recommendation to read the Harm Reduction guide. She can help herself, with your support (and her husband's).
Tell me, what else should I have done?/Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?/Tell me, what is it you plan to do/With your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
LilMissMoonshine

Postby ObjectsInMirrors » Sep 07, 2013 10:47 pm

For anyone in the future who finds this- for me in the beginning I could use over the counter sleed aids and sleep- then reducing risperdal fucked with my ability to metabolize sedating medications and it wouldnt work. I ended up using 10mg of Ambien and 700mg of L-Theanine (supplement made from green tea- DO NOT CONSUME CAFFINE ANY TIME NEAR THE CONSUMPTION OF L-THEANINE OR IT WILL CUASE AWAKENESS INSTEAD OF DROWSINESS) to help reset the horrible insomnia
ObjectsInMirrors

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely