It is currently Sep 23, 2017 11:06 pm

Risperdal (Risperidone) withdrawal

Re: Risperdal (Risperidone) withdrawal

Postby yellowrose » May 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Sounds nice.

The process of life seems kind of circular

You spend your young adult-hood trying to get into a career

Then when you are in it you spend all your time trying to plan a way out

My partner is a bit older than me. He is not on psych meds but probably at the burn out stage you describe (If only we could get that BIG contract we would be ok). Nature, good food, classes sounds great.

I was just looking at Steven Smiles site a moment ago. Its about recovery and one of the things it advocates is having some BIG goals (not neccesarily career but personal and creative goals) that will pull you through the hard times.

For me my poetry/writing is the main thing. I look up to people like William Blake who are an inspiration to me. So radical in vision. If I could convey one iota of that in my writing, that would be my goal!

L
Taoist master in training ------ www.liamartist.blogspot.co.uk
yellowrose

Postby Squeakykin » May 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Keep that dream alive and write. You may be your toughest critic. Poetry is a beautiful way to express the inexpressible universal things and experiences of being human. You may have very important things to say in your poetry that no one else but you can convey. Now I am inspired to read Blake. When I was in college my professors would often refer to Blake's poetry but I never took the opportunity to check it out for myself. Thank you.
Squeakykin

Postby Squeakykin » May 27, 2011 11:31 pm

I just checked out the Ann Lee Centre online. Very cool and respectful service. There's nothing like this in NY that I am aware of.

PS Although I am not an expert of this, regarding time release tablets: It's probably not a good idea to try to cut them. See if you can switch and get used to a non-time release version of Lithium before you want to start tapering the drug. This is just my common sense talking and it's safer and smart to get informed and to ask someone you trust who knows the drug before you decide to do anything.
Squeakykin

Postby jaklumen » May 28, 2011 1:37 am

Last edited by jaklumen on Nov 01, 2011 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaklumen

Postby Squeakykin » May 28, 2011 10:11 am

I did hear horror stories about the court date like in your case. I had a similar experience in court when I was hospitalized for 6 weeks and refused to take medication. The odds were definitely against me in court and the doctor and court appointed attorney blatantly lied about me in the hearing. I didn't have a chance. When asked to make a statement on my behalf I calmly said: " I am a proponent of healthy eating for healing and not of medication". Then the Judge ordered me to take medication. It was such a joke and my human right to make my own decisions about my mind and my heath were completely overlooked and ignored. In this case I had no rights. Needless to say in the hospital I ate pure adulterated crap which kept me depressed angry and very hungry. When is institutional food ever going to improve? It is basically composed of sugar, and simple refined carbs with dead, canned food, coffee, soda and more sugar. They just don't make the connection between food and health in these places.

For SSD, The not knowing if or when, was the most difficult part. They kept me in the dark for 6 months. But at least my process didn't take as long as some. I understand they are trying to streamline the process and not take as long as they used to--to make a decision. It was imperative to have a lawyer, or else I believe that it would have never been approved. I'm going to also see if I qualify for food stamps so that I can save $200/mo. on healthy food from the green market and health food store.
Squeakykin

Postby jaklumen » May 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Last edited by jaklumen on Jul 17, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaklumen

Postby Squeakykin » Jun 16, 2011 10:32 am

Yesterday I made the switch from Risperidone tablets to the liquid form, in order to make the tapering a little easier and more exact. This stuff works very fast and goes right to my head. I actually get a headache and a hot forehead and feel very dizzy. Because this goes directly into the bloodstream and skips being digested in the small intestine, I hope to have less digestive issues.

My doctor is very surprised that I an stable with a dose under 3 mg-- he doesn't think it is therapeutic at this low dose. But at least he is on the same page with me to get off this drug completely, however long it takes.

It kills me, the destructive and careless mind games these psychiatrists play:

Me: This illness makes me feel so tired all the time.
Dr: What do you mean I thought you didn't have an illness.
Me: Then why have I been forced to take a Neuroleptic for 27 years?
Dr: Double-talk: taking the drug after the fact doesn't mean before the fact not having an illness..

me:( thought bubble:) This guy doesn't know his ass from his elbow, What a jerk!
Squeakykin

Postby Squeakykin » Jun 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Switching to the liquid form made me very dizzy and irritable. I went out today to do some shopping at the green market and couldn't get over how chaotic this city gets on a friday afternoon before a thunderstorm. The noise and overstimulation were just too much for me and although I wanted to pick up some things at Whole Foods I think I will stay in and meditate and calm down. Even cooking and cleaning is irritating, dropping things on me by mistake. I just want to scream! But I know that screaming will just make me more acidic and ill. I switched back to 1 mg tablets and the rest (smaller amounts) in liquid form to minimize the dizzy feelings and fatigue and nausea of the liquid.
Squeakykin

Postby Squeakykin » Jun 19, 2011 8:17 pm

Today I am feeling ok and have gotten used to the combination of Risperidone tablets and liquid. Last night was difficult, I went to a movie and dinner with my older cousin who is a psychiatrist. We had a discussion about medication and she, like all other psychiatrists I have known, believes the propaganda put out by the drug companies that taking psychiatric drugs stops brain deterioration. She said it was proven in brain studies and to look this up online. She said that it is unethical for a psychiatrist not to give drugs as the first line of defense and that psychiatrists are enforcing the use of drugs within their establishment. I told her if she wants to understand what these drugs are really doing to people to read the books of Dr. Breggin. She said she was open to it. Then I said that she has a responsibility to her patients not to write a prescription after the first meeting with a patient, because these drugs are so dangerous and hard to stop and there are other treatments like change in lifestyle, food, and vitamin supplements. Then she said most patients she sees don't want to discuss anything and want a prescription written asap. She then said she doesn't have time for reading this stuff this summer because she has other summer reading to do. Then I told her that she was deluded!
Squeakykin

Postby Squeakykin » Jun 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Am feeling sooo queasy from the medication. I hate having to lie down all the time from dizziness. Using peppermint essential oil to cool my overheated body and quell my nausea which is making a huge difference!

Also check out this link on studies of the dangers of long-term psych medication usage from Robert Whitaker:
http://www.madinamerica.com/madinamerica.com/Schizophrenia.html
Squeakykin

Postby dionysiandialect » Jun 20, 2011 4:13 pm

I am really starting to seriously think about reducing Risperidone. I have read one of Dr Breggin's books but I forgot all about tapering and the infitessimally small amounts you need to taper by.

I reduced somewhat recently to 1mg. The increased quality of life and the returned brightness of existence is by far, well worth it. I was on 2.5 mg a day beforehand which I felt to be way too much. Currently I have witnessed such stunningly wonderful results as decreased emotional blunting, enhanced sociability, increased intelligence, and immense weight loss.

I am not sure if a doctor would approve however, since all they know about is what they are taught in terms of therapeutic dosages. Really though, the shit is probably powerful enough to stupefy a herd of elephants at 2 mg.

Ultimately though, do whatever you have to. You are the one who has to deal with the side effects, not the doctors.
“I have never voted in my life... I have always known and understood that the idiots are in a majority so it's certain they will win." --Louis Ferdinand Celine
dionysiandialect

Postby Squeakykin » Jun 20, 2011 10:15 pm

When I was hospitalized last year as a result of a withdrawal psychosis, I was down to 2.5 mg also. Instead of taking me off the drug which would have been the intelligent thing to do, the psychiatrists at NY Presbyterian hospital forced me to take 6 MG of Risperidone !!!, which felt like tightening a tourniquet around my head, more than enough to deaden a rhinoceros a hundred times. It has taken me a year to get back down to 2.6 MG. This I consider pure adulterated abuse.

It is interesting that you note feelings of increased intellect upon reducing the drug. That has been my experience too, but not one mental health professional that I have consulted with will ever admit this possibility. But then, they are society's drug enforcement providers who are complete ignoramuses when it comes to understanding the mind that they so carelessly exploit. These psychiatrists live, propagate and promote the trance of delusion every day when they actually believe that drugs are a solution to extreme states. Then they justify it with their bad science and monetary power.
Squeakykin

Postby yellowrose » Jun 20, 2011 10:21 pm

I JUST WANT ANSWERS
yellowrose

Postby Squeakykin » Jun 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Answers to what ??
Squeakykin

Postby yellowrose » Jun 20, 2011 10:50 pm

I am just FUCKED OFF with everyone blathering on about 'alternatives' to psychiatry but no-one is helping ME! to recover or helping me through it.
yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Jun 20, 2011 10:54 pm

feel quite tearful
yellowrose

Postby Squeakykin » Jun 21, 2011 12:19 am

I know what you mean and I am going through drug withdrawal all alone. What I have come to terms with is that no one else can help me! No one!

But I can help myself!!! by reading and informing myself about the corruption of Big Pharma and the AMA. Why psychiatrists are ignorant of the very drugs they prescribe only to make life and treatment easier for them not you!

The main thing is to safely get off this drug. We, who are taking these anti-psychotic drugs are guinea pigs in the Big drug experiment. No one knows what these drugs do or how they work. But it has been found that these drugs when taken long-term cause chronic problems, worsen symptoms and even an early death..

Are you thinking of trying to reduce medication? Are you confused about what it is doing to you? Are you conflicted about taking it? That is a natural response to what these drugs are doing to your health and your mind. They are intoxicants and cause feelings like fear and sadness to be exaggerated.

I don't intend to frighten anyone reading my posts into depression. Rather I want people who are victims of drug therapy to get motivated to help themselves safely and calmly unravel how they got to where they are today and undo the damage of an abusive medical system.
Squeakykin

Postby mplsyogabum » Jun 21, 2011 9:38 am

yellowrose wrote:I am just FUCKED OFF with everyone blathering on about 'alternatives' to psychiatry but no-one is helping ME! to recover or helping me through it.

I feel you. I have received no support & have had to rely on my acupuncture professors who have been helpful with finding me herbs. I'm doing Chinese herbs, fish oil, coenzyme Q10 & n-acetyl-cysteine. I have resources/research available to me as a grad student, so that helps. It is a VERY bumpy road.
mplsyogabum

Postby Squeakykin » Jun 24, 2011 10:52 pm

I decided to stop using Chlorella to detox. It was just too strong and pulling much of my medication out of my system too fast. I need time to balance out on my current dose of Risperidone and not feel so intense and super present. My concentration is not steady either. Therapy for me is cooking and I baked a homemade berry pie all afternoon and forgot about feeling bad. Tonight I took a long warm bath after watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution finale on TV. I hope to go to bed early.
Squeakykin

Postby Capricious » Jun 27, 2011 8:20 am

Later this morning I am headed to an appointment with my Psych to discuss meds. Among my many concerns is the use of Risperdal and side effects from Celexa.

All I want is to feel better. Seems so simple. I was in a terrible place a few months ago and I admit I am not so fearful and disoriented now. It has been a week since I had a mini melt down, and those have been fewer in frequency.

But, the cost of this is staggering. Loss of libido. Loss of silence (persistent ringing in my ears). Loss of emotional peaks. Less interested in pretty much anything creative. Memories and flashback sensations still exist, although less acute. Overall I feel like a shadow of who I am, or was, or something. it is hard to define who and what I am now, as if I can't really see inside. I wonder if people could actually just walk through me. And as always, sleep remains a fickle lover.

I'll report back on the outcome of the appointment.
Last edited by Capricious on Jun 27, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capricious

PreviousNext

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely