It is currently Sep 22, 2017 4:11 am

Second times a charm?

Second times a charm?

Postby dreamwarrior » Jun 04, 2010 5:29 pm

As for myself I have been medication free for just over 2 months now and no significant withdrawls or and no symptoms besides one day at work after a night I couldnt sleep. I was previouslly on risperidal and celexa for about a year, after falling apart after my first attempt to withdraw but it may have been a coincidence which I'll explain further down. As a result of the extent to which I fell apart I was once again court ordered to take medication and to see a social worker monthly. I was also required to stay at a group home for about 10 months, which I moved out of as soon as I was able to , and I got a job pretty much right away. This all impressed my social worker.
It was interesting that day at work even though a had some uncontrollable ideas of refrence coming back that I felt less suggestable , it was like my core was solid and I knew what was real. I have been reading about myth and its meaning latelly and it has helped me come to terms with my experiences, I highly recommend "the branch from the lightning tree" to anyone who has ever been through the fire of a psychotic break, it is specificlly about rites of passage but I think most of you could make the connections.
I really truelly think alot of my success in recovering can be attributed to my taking 3g niacin and 3g Vitamin C, as well as Fish oil 1-3g. It isnt a done deal yet of course, I am still seeing a psychiatrist and stockpiling the risperidal in case I need it, I am planning on coming out about this after 6 months or a year if all goes well. I am thinking of looking into seeing if cannabidiol is available in my state because it would certainly be preferable if it becomes necessary to take a neuroleptic, I am thinking it probably will be tricky to obtain but I will do what I can. It is synthetic but at least I know what it comes from. Anyway I am thinking this time its going to work at this rate. Four factors are not in place this time that i think were crucial, I am not in an apartment building with high concentrations of lead in the water (need I explain), I am not isolating, I am not drinking heavily ( which can severelly deplete your thiamin thus resulting in psychosis ), I am not unemployed. Also I am not adverse to going back on the medication if I need to which is far different from last time. My main concern is my ph level which I guess goes haywire after withdrawing from antipsychotics, and alternative to meds center wont return my calls, so I'm not sure what to do, I guess I'll just drink kombucha and consume other alkaline foods assuming I need to lean in that direction,,, but I was only taking 2 mg so I dont know if that applys. the only side effect I have really had was an occasional feeling of being way outside of myself , like I am watching myself watch myself , this has happened about three times and I guess it could just be my diet or a consequence of my feel good cocktail, lionsmane extract, maca, fish oil and blue green algae...who knows ,, any thoughts would be welcome.
dreamwarrior

Postby sweetmadness » Jun 04, 2010 10:01 pm

Congrats on your progress. I think that is great that so far you're having a better time withdrawing from medications. I'm in the same boat in regards, I've been off them for over a week. I think I'll start counting the days off them tomorrow and write out a plan/journal so I can stay on top of this. I plan on waiting at least three years before telling anyone in my immediate circle or relatives.

Niacin did seem to help, though I'm not sure how. I would take it, though I'm trying to get out of the habit of anything pill-like or pill-shaped. LOL.

I agree that your environment, work-life, and people contribute to how you feel and can make your life much more enjoyable and easy to manage. I have found the best breakthroughs with reading spiritual books, ones that meld spirituality and psychology. Can recommend Carl Jung, a classic.

Speaking of staying on top of things, I should get to bed.
"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better."
Martin Luther King, Jr.
sweetmadness

wishing you luck

Postby dreamwarrior » Jun 05, 2010 1:49 pm

I just want to wish you luck. I think the most important thing is to have a solid core, kind of like how they describe certain kinds of medication or psychadelic experience. I feel like that may be what the vitamins have done for me is give me more of a solid core, or greater insight as they say in the clinics. For someone who was previouslly assessed as having no insight this is an accomplishment I think. I wouldnt rule out the vitamins long term, they may help more than you think. After all the B vitamins are crucial to brain health, a deficiency of niacin is called pellegra: which is virtually indistinguishable from schizophrenia other than that it kills you eventually. A deficiency of thiamin is called beri beri : which can also cause psychotic disorders. Its notable that heavy drinking ( I am not just talking about a couple nights of partying by the way , I am talking about the kind of drinking those who have some genes for alchoholism can do) can cause a deficiency of thiamin.
A deficiency of b12 is called pernicious aenemia ( as seen on House) , and can cause paranoia , and delusions of grandeur and persecution...
If you are at all curious about the vitamins I would start with Abram Hoffers book "How to live with schizophrenia" and go from there.
It can get a little confusing if you look into natural treatments so I 'll save you a little work, chinese and ayurveda treatments appear to have little to no benefit, homeopathy is known to cause a period of worsening of symptoms before improvement ( and personally I think homeopathy is probably nonesense) , omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and vitamin D are the links most believed in by modern psychiatrists with a small minority who believe in glycine or glutamic acid ( they say that vitamin D levels of the mother affect the childs health later but whos to say there isnt a direct connection not alot of research has been done on that), to me the adrenolutin hypothesis is one of the soundest theories out there, but it does give me hope that the most popular view of modern psychiatrists is the glutamate theory of schizophrenia, at least they are moving in the right direction.
dreamwarrior

its supposed to say

Postby dreamwarrior » Jun 05, 2010 1:50 pm

"kind of like how they describe certain kinds of meditation or psychadelic experience"
dreamwarrior

Postby Pheepho » Jun 05, 2010 5:43 pm

Wonderful to hear success stories, and interesting to hear of others going through this process without discussion with their pdoc. I am the same, I am waiting til I feel I am out of the woods to inform her I have weaned down, because I dread her interference and "guidance" in a process she knows nothing about. Just don't need the stress of such a discussion, need to share with people who have faith in me.

Am curious about Carl Jung, Sweetmadness, if I choose a book of his, what should I start with?
Pheepho

Postby dreamwarrior » Jun 05, 2010 6:01 pm

Its important to be hypervigilant though. it took me four months last time before I really unraveled so I just have to make sure to keep a close watch on my drinking and a close watch on my internal dialogue to make sure I'm not going south, and keep taking my niacin and everything and maintain my contacts so that if something goes wrong I do the right thing and start taking my scripts or up the niacin. Be carefull everyone. Especially those withdrawing from antipsychotics. I read somewhere that it typically takes 35 days from the last pill you take for every year you have been on an antipsychotic for the withdrawl symptoms to end.
dreamwarrior

Postby dreamwarrior » Jun 05, 2010 6:08 pm

yeah but it looks like my period to run into withdrawls is over since I have only been on risperidal a year. the only real concern is my dopamine levels getting too high in response to no longer being supressed, I imagine I'll be able to tell. I'm not adverse to starting back on a milligram and titrating down from that if it comes to that. that and for everything to go as planned I need to quit smoking cigarettes and lay off the coffee and make sure I dont get into a prolonged drinking binge, but there seems no danger of that since I am working full time now, its prohibitive I am not about to come to work smelling like a brewery. I have had a few too many a couple times in the last few months, and way too much once, but now I dont even really crave booze so I'm not too worried about it. my commitment is over as of today! yay
dreamwarrior

Jung

Postby dreamwarrior » Jun 05, 2010 6:13 pm

I for one really want to read Jungs infamous redbook. It is a documentation of his time in the "underworld" as I like to call it. He spent six years in that state which some might not realize. It was just published last fall after alot of contraversy .

http://bipolarblast.wordpress.com/2009/09/20/carl-jung/
dreamwarrior

so glad for both of you!

Postby joanie_babelonie » Jun 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Dreamwarrior and Sweetmadness,

I'm so glad for both of you! It's just wonderful to hear about people successfully getting off of p$ychiatric drugs. When I hear people say their shrinks had told them they're "married" to their medication cocktails and they'll never be able to get off of them it makes me so angry I feel like my head is going to explode. Peoole like you two are living proof that those shrinks are liars!

I've never taken niacin long-term, but it restored my sanity several times when I was having Chernobyl-scale mental meltdowns. Restored it within minutes. I've never met an hallucination that could stand up to 500mg of it. LOL! That stuff is a miracle vitamin as far as I'm concerned. I'd read a bit about Dr. Abram Hoffer, who pioneered its use, and thought "what fascinating man he must have been to know." and was saddened/chagrined to learn he only died recently. I haven't stopped kicking myself for not writing to him when I had the chance. It's too bad that Nobel Prizes are not awarded posthumously, 'cause he certainly deserves one.

Sweetmadness, I have to second what Dreamwarrior says about not counting out vitamins. After all, they're only compressed food. So what if they come in pill form? After all, nitric acid and orange juice are both yellow liquids, but one is deadly poison and the other is yummy to drink.

peace, Joanie
joanie_babelonie

Postby Pheepho » Jun 05, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks, Dreamwarrior, for the link re Carl Jung. Have put that on my list of things I must read. Will start with I guess one of his academic works, to put it all in context. Amazing to know what a courageous figure he is.

Would be interested in any links you may have re the benefits of niacin. I find vitamins expensive by the time you take the dozens of things you should supplement...but interested to know if there's one thing I should try.
Pheepho

Postby dreamwarrior » Jun 05, 2010 9:11 pm

like I said I'm not going to count these chickens before they hatch. I'm still playing the game and going to appointments and filling prescriptions ( and hopefully I find someone who will prescribe cannabidiol for me ) but I feel confident that this will be the final time. I really do think the lead saturated water at my last apartment and abusing alchohol were crucial factors.
dreamwarrior

Postby clix » Jun 05, 2010 9:42 pm

dreamwarrior wrote: ( and hopefully I find someone who will prescribe cannabidiol for me )

I pray for that day to come for you and for me. As someone who's mostly fine off meds, I'd love to have some in my kit for just in case.

You are taking a similar approach to what has helped me. Thanks for sharing your journey.
<address>"I don't want a bigger piece of the pie. I want a different pie!"</address>
clix

Re: Second times a charm?

Postby dreamwarrior » Oct 07, 2012 8:55 pm

so that time around I made it 9 months. I had a night terror which lead to the police coming to my door which lead to me trying to barge right through them rather than run or succumb ( the fact that I just quit smoking couldv'e had something to do with it and that I was planning on going to put in my letter of resignation at my work place ). Fortunatelly they could tell something unusual was going on that didn't quite fit their usual criteria and they took me to HCMC and I worked the program like it was my job. since then I continue to wean when I can, but I am being super careful. I think that night terror was stroke like seizure like activity that I somehow spiritually defended myself against.
dreamwarrior

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely