It is currently Sep 23, 2017 11:09 pm

Withdrawal psychosis ?

Withdrawal psychosis ?

Postby MaureenH » Oct 10, 2009 5:04 am

Hi Im trying to withdraw from stelazine since 4 months ago. Ive been on it for the better part of 25 yrs. My psychiatrist told me to come of at 1mg per month and has left me to my own devices. I read Peter Breggins book Your Drug may Be Your Problem and he says if your over 40 you should get of neuroleptics as soon as possible (Im 54 and Ive been on stelazine since I was 28) cos of risks of Tardive dyskensia. This really scared me. Ive cut from 7mg to 3 mg since July. I seemed to be doing great (high in fact) So I tried to cut to 2mg this week but had what I think was withdrawal psychosis as I felt so ill paranoid, brain playing tricks, nightmares. Ive gone back up to 3mg and thinks I will stay on this till I see if I can get medical supervision but Im scared to go to doc/psychiatrist in case they keep me on med. Im in scotland and the docs / psychiatrist dont seem very knowledgeable about withdrawal at all and Im scared they make me give up and keep me on stelazine which makes me so apathetic and dull, I hate it. Any calming advice
<p>Mo</p>
MaureenH

Re: Withdrawal psychosis ?

Postby joanie_babelonie » Oct 10, 2009 10:13 am

MaureenH wrote:Hi Im trying to withdraw from stelazine since 4 months ago. Ive been on it for the better part of 25 yrs. My psychiatrist told me to come of at 1mg per month and has left me to my own devices. I read Peter Breggins book Your Drug may Be Your Problem and he says if your over 40 you should get of neuroleptics as soon as possible (Im 54 and Ive been on stelazine since I was 28) cos of risks of Tardive dyskensia. This really scared me. Ive cut from 7mg to 3 mg since July. I seemed to be doing great (high in fact) So I tried to cut to 2mg this week but had what I think was withdrawal psychosis as I felt so ill paranoid, brain playing tricks, nightmares. Ive gone back up to 3mg and thinks I will stay on this till I see if I can get medical supervision but Im scared to go to doc/psychiatrist in case they keep me on med. Im in scotland and the docs / psychiatrist dont seem very knowledgeable about withdrawal at all and Im scared they make me give up and keep me on stelazine which makes me so apathetic and dull, I hate it. Any calming advice

Hi Maureen,
Stelazine is terrible stuff. My friends and I used to call them "blue meanies," for what they did to us once when we discovered a bottle of them in a girl's mother's medicine cabinet and tried to get high on them. My overall experience with neuroleptics is limited, (I was on low dose thorazine for 2 yrs in the early 1970's) so I can only guess what you're going through, but I know for a fact that Niacin (vitamin B-3) has remarkable antipsychotic properties with NONE of the mental dulling typical of neuroleptics. It completely and immediately stopped several acute psychotic episodes that I have suffered over the years. I have never met a visual or auditory hallucination that could stand up to 500 mgs. of it. I do not take it on a regular basis, but I keep a bottle of it on hand, just in case. It may help ameliorate your withdrawal. Here's an article about it:

http://www.doctoryourself.com/review_hoffer_B3.html

Abram Hoffer ought to win a Nobel prize in Medicine for discovering it.
If you try Niacin, you should be aware that it may cause a prickly, hot flush on your upper body (which can be alarming if you don't know what's happening!) and possibly a runny nose, each of which will go away within an hour.

So far as withdrawing from the stelazine is concerned, have you considered a more gradual, incremental regimen? The stelazine pills that I remember were hard, dome shaped little things which would be difficult to split accurately, but you could dissolve them in water and measure out your doses that way. That's how I got off of elavil in 1977, without any medical supervision. I was always sure to stir up the sludge at the bottom of the cup, in case the drug had concentrated down there.

Be strong and please keep us posted.

peace, Joanie
joanie_babelonie

Postby After » Oct 10, 2009 11:12 am

Here's an article on how to get off meds more gradually, including instructions on how to get accurate very small doses by dissolving the pills:

http://bipolarblast.wordpress.com/2009/ ... al-primer/

I've never been in neuroleptic withdrawal after longterm use, but I've been in drug withdrawal, and while getting off is, of course, the ultimate goal, slower is always better. Good luck and keep us posted!
Because we were slaves, and we are slaves no longer.
After

Postby MaureenH » Oct 10, 2009 11:59 am

Thanks very much for info and articles . Niacin and slower withdrawal here I come !
<p>Mo</p>
MaureenH

Postby joanie_babelonie » Oct 10, 2009 4:33 pm

MaureenH wrote:Thanks very much for info and articles . Niacin and slower withdrawal here I come !

Hi Maureen,

They make a time-release form of Niacin that reduces but does not eliminate the flushing effect. If you can find it on your side of the pond, one 250 mg capsule daily may be all you need. Be good to yourself and take that withdrawal slowly!

peace, Joanie
joanie_babelonie

Re: Withdrawal psychosis ?

Postby clix » Oct 10, 2009 9:36 pm

MaureenH wrote: Im in scotland and the docs / psychiatrist dont seem very knowledgeable about withdrawal at all and Im scared they make me give up and keep me on stelazine which makes me so apathetic and dull, I hate it. Any calming advice

There are a few people in the UK who know about this stuff. Rufus May has set up a new website. He is in England, but closely connected with Ron Coleman in Scotland, not so far away. You could try contacting Ron Coleman to see if he has any suggestions for local supportive doctors.

Ron mainly works witht the hearing voices network but does workshops all over the place and may be able to connect you with people locally. His website is:

http://www.workingtorecovery.co.uk/

Also helpful is Rufus Mays coming off website, this link takes you to a page that gives some ideas for things to think about if coming off meds

http://www.comingoff.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=28
<address>"I don't want a bigger piece of the pie. I want a different pie!"</address>
clix

Postby johndoe » Oct 11, 2009 3:30 am

Are you doing psychotherapy?
johndoe

Postby MaureenH » Oct 11, 2009 6:11 am

Ive been getting counselling which started 3 weeks ago its been bringing up lots of stuff from childhood. Id had psychotherapy 10 yrs ago . The trouble is when youre medicated you never really know if youve resolved stuff. As Im coming of meds I thought the counselling would be a good measure. Also had a shamanic soul retrieval and seeing a homeopath at a place called Planetary Healing in Portobello in Edinburgh. Trying to move on after so many years of stagnation !
<p>Mo</p>
MaureenH

Postby sweetmadness » Oct 11, 2009 6:41 am

MaureenH wrote:Ive been getting counselling which started 3 weeks ago its been bringing up lots of stuff from childhood. Id had psychotherapy 10 yrs ago . The trouble is when youre medicated you never really know if youve resolved stuff. As Im coming of meds I thought the counselling would be a good measure. Also had a shamanic soul retrieval and seeing a homeopath at a place called Planetary Healing in Portobello in Edinburgh. Trying to move on after so many years of stagnation !

Good luck on your recovering from medications. There are other things that can help too. I have been writing more and finished my Memoir on what I went through with schizophrenia. A few days later I started feeling good and wasn't sure what the reason was.Then I came home and realized three or so people already had bought my book. Writing is a helpful way to release inner demons or pent up emotions.

I also have been reading more on Shamanism and Tibetan Buddhism. I just got the Tibetan Book of the Dead and I'm going to set aside some time to really read it. The problem is with meds I cannot focus at all.
I started taking them again and the ups and downs are hard to master. I need to have the benefits of the highs and lows without taking prescription pills.

Some other good books are: A Book of Pagan Prayer: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Pagan-Prayer-Ceisiwr-Serith/dp/1578632552

This book is amazing as well as: Earth Prayers http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Prayers-Poems-Invocations-Around/dp/B002N2XGJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255257538&sr=1-1
"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better."
Martin Luther King, Jr.
sweetmadness

Postby MaureenH » Oct 11, 2009 7:33 am

Congratulations on finishing your memoirs ! I will certianly look at these books. I used to be quite creative too and hope to get back to painting, writing. I was diagnosed as schizophrenic 25 yrs ago, although I was talking about childhood sexual abuse but they didnt belive me then. The diagnosis was changed to Bipolar in my 30s after 15 mins with a psychiatrist. Ive never been convinced by the labels and now think thay disempower you and deindivualize you, evrey body is unique and can find their own way to heal and recover no matter how long it takes. Im hoping to overcome my days of lying about sedated. Best Wishes to you and I hope you keep up the writing
<p>Mo</p>
MaureenH

Postby sweetmadness » Oct 11, 2009 10:27 am

Thanks! Good luck with your painting too. When I was off of the medication this year I was able to think more clearly. I read a large Stephen King Book in about two days. I felt pretty good actually despite people were concerned based on preconceived notions. They at least admitted I seemed to be doing well. I think that is when I wrote a good bit of my memoir too. And painting is so enlivening and fun to do. I've learned that I paint best when my mind isn't focused on perfecting the image, yet at the same time I'm paying attention to detail and how things are formed on the canvas. I used to like painting with oils but now I'm starting with acrylics, they're easier to dry and make more liquid bright colors.
"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better."
Martin Luther King, Jr.
sweetmadness

Postby Aine » Oct 11, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi Maureen!
You have been on your pills for a long time and you need to do it SLOWLY! Doctors don’t always realize this and tell you to come off too quickly.
I had Withdrawal Psychosis three years ago, having been on neuroleptics for over 40 years. I was terrified.
W.P. mimics the original illness – which it isn’t (despite what my shrink said). It is just your receptors in your brain crying out for their dope. The medication has been holding them in place all these years – in an artificial place. So when the dope is reduced suddenly. your receptors get confused. They are at sixes and sevens – not knowing yet what position they should be in because the drug is no longer controlling them. This confusion causes Withdrawal Psychosis.
When I was going through W.P., I found The Battle Against Tranquillizers Helpline very helpful and polite. They are people who themselves have come off drugs successfully and are very knowledgeable, supportive and non-directive. Their telephone number is:
0117 966 3629
My G.P. allows me to lower the strength of one pill by one milligram one day in the week every year. Slow, I know, and sometimes I get impatient – but anything is better than getting W.P. again. I was taken off the stelazine which was giving me tardive dyslexia and am now taking Olanzapine (Zyprexa) which only gives my hand a slight shake. Worries me though.
Stelazine is a bad pill, and it puts you especially at risk of T.D. if you are elderly, a woman or have a mood disorder. Sometimes shrinks don’t do their home work and end up giving you the wrong pill for your circumstances.
Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
Aine

Postby Aine » Oct 11, 2009 12:34 pm

You can get Stelazine in liquid form. When I was reducing it, I used a syringe.
Aine

Postby MaureenH » Oct 11, 2009 12:50 pm

Thanks Aine that was really useful its good to know theres someone out there who managed to get off stelazine safely. I didnt know you could get stelazine in liquid form and will ask my doc about this particularly when I get down to lower doses. Having spoke to you all Ive decided to slow it all down and take at least a year or two to come off stelazine. This will be difficult as i easily get carried away and can be impatient but as you say its better slow than withdrawal psychosis. Ive got the BAT number in my phone book now. Good luck with your own withdrawal fom meds
Thanks again
<p>Mo</p>
MaureenH

Postby johndoe » Nov 21, 2009 10:18 am

MaureenH wrote:Thanks Aine that was really useful its good to know theres someone out there who managed to get off stelazine safely. I didnt know you could get stelazine in liquid form and will ask my doc about this particularly when I get down to lower doses. Having spoke to you all Ive decided to slow it all down and take at least a year or two to come off stelazine. This will be difficult as i easily get carried away and can be impatient but as you say its better slow than withdrawal psychosis. Ive got the BAT number in my phone book now. Good luck with your own withdrawal fom meds
Thanks again

Recently got off stelazine too. Just wanted to let you know. I just followed my pdoc instructions.
Best luck to you!
johndoe

Withdrawal from stelazine

Postby MaureenH » Nov 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi Thanks for letting me know ! Well done. Im down to 2 mg but thought Id wait til after xmas before going down further. Do you mind me asking how long you were on stelazine, at what level and how long did you take to come off ? Ive been seeing a homeopath and she's helped me a lot
Best Wishes
<p>Mo</p>
MaureenH

Re: Withdrawal from stelazine

Postby johndoe » Nov 21, 2009 2:11 pm

MaureenH wrote:Hi Thanks for letting me know ! Well done. Im down to 2 mg but thought Id wait til after xmas before going down further. Do you mind me asking how long you were on stelazine, at what level and how long did you take to come off ? Ive been seeing a homeopath and she's helped me a lot
Best Wishes

I started at 10 mg. Then eventually reduced it to 7.5 mg or 5 mg and I took a year to come off of it.
According to my pdoc 2 mg is very low dose, so you are already there, just be patient!
johndoe

Coming of stelazine Sexual abuse causes 'mental illness'

Postby MaureenH » Nov 21, 2009 6:58 pm

Dear johndoe Im drunk you probably dont want to know me. i dont drink much but I was lonely tonight. I was on stelazine for 25 years tho I had some breaks. But now that im coming off all the pain comes back. Im determined to deal with it. My father sexually abused me. I tried to face my family when I was 28 but had psychosis. So they gave me stelazine. Now im facing the same issues . My fatherb died 6 yrs ago and i made my peace with him as I tried to charge him and he said sorry (in private). But now I find i cant face my mother who is 77 . Ive told her and my brothers I dont want to see them as the dont aknowledge the abuse and in the past covered up for him . Im breaking up a disfunctional famil and it should have happened when I was achild when we were all being abused by that alcoholic violent disturbed paedophile man who was my father.
Im 54 now but I am going to work for a psychiatric system that genuinely listens to traumatised people in crisis. I was drugged up to my eyeballs and felt permanently disabled. Now I know better thanks to the research Ive done and websites like this. The society we live in tries to suppress pain because it wants to avoid truth. Ive found mine and I will fight for it and I will not be silenced by antipsychotics any longer. I will fight not just for my truth but for the truth of all misconstrued so called ' mentally ill' people
With Love
<p>Mo</p>
MaureenH

Postby johndoe » Nov 21, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm so sorry you had gone through such terrible things in your life. I fully agree with your opinions; some mental health professionals neglect what's important to us and just treat the symptoms.
I too think facing truth is the way to go. I am sure you will win this fight! Never give up!
johndoe

Re:

Postby walbash » Feb 08, 2013 10:47 pm

joanie_babelonie wrote:
MaureenH wrote:Thanks very much for info and articles . Niacin and slower withdrawal here I come !

Hi Maureen,

They make a time-release form of Niacin that reduces but does not eliminate the flushing effect. If you can find it on your side of the pond, one 250 mg capsule daily may be all you need. Be good to yourself and take that withdrawal slowly!

peace, Joanie

Warning be very careful with time release I will not dare use it anymore
Ended up in er after taking 4 g even low dose can be bad
Niacinamide has no flush I take that
I was told that with niacin or niacinamide you should always take the same dose of vit c

Best
walbash

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely