It is currently Sep 21, 2017 8:23 am

Harm Reduction Guide to Coming Off Psych Drugs published!

Harm Reduction Guide to Coming Off Psych Drugs published!

Postby will » Oct 01, 2007 1:27 am

The Icarus Project and Freedom Center's 40-page guide gathers the best information we've come across and the most valuable lessons we've learned about reducing and coming off psychiatric medication. Includes info on mood stabilizers, anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, anti-anxiety drugs, risks, benefits, wellness tools, withdrawal, detailed Resource section, information for people staying on their medications, and much more. Written by Will Hall, with a 14-member health professional Advisory Board providing research assistance and 24 other collaborators involved in developing and editing. The guide has photographs and art throughout, and a beautiful original cover painting by Ashley McNamara. Download a .pdf to read or a 'zine version to print and fold into a booklet (instructions included). Low-cost published copies also available by emailing orders AT theicarusproject DOT net, and you can also get multiple copies to distribute.

Note that the guide is Creative Commons copyright and you are free to copy and distribute for non-commercial purposes, as long as you credit the source and don't alter it.

http://theicarusproject.net/HarmReductionGuideComingOffPsychDrugs

http://theicarusproject.net/downloads/ComingOffPsychDrugsHarmReductGuide1Edonline.pdf
Download and read the Guide.

http://theicarusproject.net/downloads/ComingOffPsychDrugsHarmReductGuide1EdZinePrint.pdf
Download a printer version, with scrambled pages ready to fold.

http://theicarusproject.net/downloads/ComingOffPsychDrugsHarmReductGuide1EdZinePrint.pdf
Download simple assembly instructions the print version.

Last edited by will on Sep 27, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
will

Postby Inel » Oct 01, 2007 8:49 am

Will, thank you for all your hard work and collaboration on this guide and for so generously sharing it at a time when this information is so needed in our communities. No doubt it will help support and guide our conversations about an issues we all seem to be talking about.

It is beautiful and I am grateful!
Inel

Postby Amy » Oct 01, 2007 12:27 pm

kick-freakin' ass. I'm giving this to everyone I know!

THANK YOU WILL!

in solidarity-
Amy
Amy

Postby Dragonfly » Oct 01, 2007 1:59 pm

Thank you for putting this together. A friend of mine is in dire need of this information. She’s so frustrated with her med situation, she’s contemplating death. I really think this will give her hope. Again, thank you!

*smiles*
D
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Dragonfly

Postby LaurenMichelle » Oct 01, 2007 9:10 pm

Thanks, Will! This has been helpful for me ever since I got hold of the draft last summer. I'm so excited that it's finalized and out there, and thanks again for all your hard work.
LaurenMichelle

Postby will » Oct 02, 2007 1:08 am

thanks everybody!

if you have ideas for distro please email me will at theicarusproject dot net or orders at theicarusproject dot net
will

Postby bmad » Oct 02, 2007 3:16 am

hey everyone!

yes, these are exciting time we are materializing! pls remind me of this when the despair is tugging at my ankles .... ;)

we'll have a new publication release party for the guide in addition to community discussion & mad gifts week kick off event in

Chicago at Quimby's on Sun. October 28th. 3pm. one hour event!

check it out / pls come out if you can/ spread the news near & far ....

http://quimbys.com/blog/store-events/ic ... t-quimbys/
bmad

Postby clix » Oct 02, 2007 8:40 am

Brilliant, stunning, wonderful, liberating, thank you, thank you thank you.
This is so needed, will be distributing this far and wide as soon as I sort out some printing resources and buy a few reams of paper. Congratulations on this essential resourse for the creatively malajusted.

I am med free, use meds short term for crisis mangement to restore sleep, and working at a job I love after 5 years on disability, when I cycled from occasional psychosis to prolonged periods of depression (while on psych meds) now 7 months off them and my life is worth living again. Would not have had the courage to do it without the Icarus project!
<address>"I don't want a bigger piece of the pie. I want a different pie!"</address>
clix

Postby sandpiper » Oct 02, 2007 9:40 am

I am sooooo excited about this guide Will!!! I saw it yesterday, but it has been suspended in my printer's cue cos I ran out of ink. I think I will email it to myself at work and print it out there. or not... I'm a little late right now! I actually finally got some good sleep last night even though I popped awake suddenly at 4 a.m. I was able to get back to sleep anhour later .... THank you Will and to all of Icarus. Icarus rocks!

sandpiper
sandpiper

thank you

Postby GiannaKali » Oct 02, 2007 10:35 am

This is very exciting. I printed it out last night and read it today. I have a website of my journey off meds with lots of resources on it. This manual validates all my experiences and will be posted to my website.

If you're interested in my particular withdrawal story look:

http://bipolarblast.wordpress.com/

I've worked out alternatives for myself that might help others. I'm also still in process.

I was on drugs for 20 years and as stated in your manual am taking several years to come off.

In your manual it says many people who have been on as long as I have, have more problems---the good news is I've been doing it very successfully and I believe anyone can do it if they have the right supports and alternatives in place! My experience is that a lot of people simply don't do it with the right supports and alternatives.

thanks again for a great addition to the scarce literature on the topic.
GiannaKali

Postby Inel » Oct 02, 2007 3:16 pm

GK, I miss you. You are a personal human hero. Bless you and your process. Glad you saw and got the info of the Icarus/Freedom Center Guide linked to the amazing process/network you have been working on/towards.
Inel

Postby GiannaKali » Oct 02, 2007 3:58 pm

Inel sweetheart--

It is because of YOU and a little email list we are both part of that I got turned on to this!!

Thank you and our personal hero worship is mutual.

Let's get together soon!
GiannaKali

thank you!

Postby morningstar » Oct 03, 2007 3:22 am

Oh this was great--thanks so much for creating it. The art work is beautiful and I forwarded it to 4 mental health professionals (in management positions) that are anti-drug. I finished my process of going off medications last month (after 13 years) and 35 drug trials later. 2 of those antidrug mental health professionals had a celebratory dinner for me when I finished going off the medications.

I'm sure that all but one of my hospitalizations were related to reactions to medications--you know---when providers keep on trying different anti-depressants on you and you get wildly manic as a result! Or they give you something that makes you feel like you died and went to hell.

After 13 years I realized that the medications never did keep me from having manias or depressions and in fact may very well have exacerbated them. When I made the decision to go off medications 3 years ago, and then actually started the process in February I found absolutely no literature or any support. Therefore I know what a desperate need there was for this document

And it is beautiful both with its images and its words. Thank you!
morningstar

Postby greenthumbs » Oct 03, 2007 4:35 am

Just wanted to join in and say thankyou.
Read it yesterday and gonna try to share it with some others :)
greenthumbs

Postby will » Apr 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Thanks everyone for the enthusiasm and support. The writing / editing / design / collaboration process was difficult at times, and took a lot of work, so it is great to hear the positive responses.

Also great to hear people's successes becoming more empowered around medications, including going off them if it's right for you. Inspiring stories.

I am gathering a file of suggestions, comments, additions, corrections, changes, expansions, and other ideas for the Second Edition. Please if you have anything that you feel is missing or could make the guide even better, send it to

will AT theicarusproject DOT net

All contributors will be listed in the (large and growing) Thank You section.

Also, I want to ask anyone who likes the guide: help us to distribute it!

Libraries, local mental health agencies, holistic health places, infoshops, bookstores -- anywhere that might carry it or help spread copies around -- show them a copy and tell them they can get copies from ordersATtheicarusprojectDOTnet.

Also if you know any websites that have resource listing links, you can ask them to include a link to the free version of the guide.

http://theicarusproject.net/HarmReducti ... PsychDrugs

You can also distribute it yourself directly, either by printing it out and copying off the website (you have permission), and/or by ordering multiple printed copies from Icarus, which are very cheap. You can also use them as a fundraiser for your group. ordersATtheicarusprojectDOTnet

Feel free to be in touch about how you can help out.

-- Will
will

A good piece on Psych Med Withdrawal

Postby GiannaKali » May 01, 2008 10:55 am

I've cross posted this in Alternative Treatments too...

http://bipolarblast.wordpress.com/2008/ ... ithdrawal/
GiannaKali

Postby Agustina » Sep 08, 2008 12:44 pm

------
Last edited by Agustina on Oct 18, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agustina

Postby Agustina » Sep 08, 2008 4:41 pm

-------
Agustina

Postby arbitrary » Oct 12, 2009 8:58 pm

Thank you so much for creating this guide. It was essential in giving me the confidence I needed to finally quit taking the little magic pills I never believed in. It's been months since I quit, and what do you know, I'm fine.

How can I help?
arbitrary

Return to Reducing and Going Off Medications Safely