It is currently Sep 22, 2017 6:37 pm

crazy sober stuff..

Self medicating? Who isn't?!? What is your experience with alcohol & other drug use and abuse as coping mechanisms, recreation, enlightenment, or self-destruction? How do you deal with their grip? 12-step, harm reduction, visionary ritual, total indulgence and any other perspectives welcome.

Re: crazy sober stuff..

Postby Cindy Wicks » Jan 09, 2017 12:41 am

<p>"We are so plugged into the universe that stars travel through follicles and shoot out the ends of our hair!"</p>
Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » Feb 07, 2017 5:46 pm

<p>"We are so plugged into the universe that stars travel through follicles and shoot out the ends of our hair!"</p>
Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » Feb 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » Feb 13, 2017 10:49 pm

Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » Apr 07, 2017 2:36 am

Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » Apr 22, 2017 5:20 pm

by Cindy Wicks » 22 Apr 2017 02:24

Wings without sky

Alcohol gave me wings to fly- then took away the sky. Walking around with a 20 foot wing span got in everyone’s way, lots of feather fights, excess sneezing and rude comments to keep my wings to myself!
Once sober it felt as if my wings were clipped. They weren’t, they were just rendered dysfunctional. I had to learn new abilities, accept new deficiencies and how to keep them in order. I learned that others were equally important and acquired knowledge that they knew more than I. I was in a position to learn. I listened to their tuition and each day built upon its fruition.
I learned about preening to cleanse, to trim up and stroke the wings of others. We learned to co-exist. We flutter with purpose separate from ourselves; purpose to grow and give. To serve and love empowered- to gain strength, resilience and faith.
To profess acquired wisdom from the gift of desperation.
When we fell from the absent sky, learned to crawl and walk and take hands to lead and show the way-From the depths of the sky to the wings of being anchored by the faith to leap off and fly.
Faith by the willing act of ask- learn- and transform.
We live as winged ones . Period- Wings invisible. Our spirits soar and free to receive all the gratitude we enjoy and live as we breathe air into the sky - less it disappears again - for us as well as them. Us as us and there is no them. Us as we begin again.
Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » May 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » Jun 26, 2017 12:42 am

from 2011

Societal Mousse

O K, I must admit that I am a little wild and out of control on my own. I can see that. Left to my own devices I would never sleep, live on coffee, chocolate soy milk and peanut-butter and banana sandwiches until my body was like cauliflower. My brain would be a raison and my face would be a dried up prune. Left to my own devices, I’d never take medication, never listen to anyone else’s opinion and be drunk off my ass 24/7.
Thank God for a little social mousse in my life. Guides and guideposts, my daily reflection book and patience and prayer. I thank God for the people in my life who gently point me in the right direction. I thank God for my friends who help me with reality checks and won’t let me fall through the cracks despite my best efforts.
I must admit that I am much tamer then I used to be. My hair cut short due to spontaneity, and carefully coifed back into place by a friend. And for that matter, thank God for my conscience, that karma nag in my ear. I am grateful for all of the people in my life. Especially the ones who inspire me and make me think. Not just about how I should restrain myself, but that I should be able to express emotion. God only saves me from being fully human. I hear that anger is the dubious luxury of normal people.
I try to indulge in that woe which is much more painful to give than receive.
Thank God for my medications as rebellious as I am about taking them. Thank God for the people who educate me about alternatives. Thank God for societal pressures that make me more productive and less childish, though my judgment isn’t the best, thank God for the people who forgive me and love me anyway. Thank God I’m willing to give it away for free, thank God for the people with willing ears and cars and hands.
Thank God for a touch of societal mouse in my life, coifing my wild waves and making my existence a little more tolerable to others.
Thank God for time on my knees and remembering that one can’t make grass grow more quickly by pulling on it (though I hear it stimulates hair growth) thank God for the people who understand me even if I’m not making sense. Thank God for sensibility and with the remains of the day, may I offer more than I take, ask, be politically correct, and stay in my own hula-hoop!

And most of all Thank God that I am exactly the way I am even with a little neurotic anxiety, I am better than the person that I used to be. Thank God I’m me.
Cindy Wicks

Postby WindThroughDoor » Jul 09, 2017 10:57 am

Hi Cindy, I am glad you are you too :)
Forever is composed of nows. ~Emily Dickinson
WindThroughDoor

Postby Cindy Wicks » Jul 12, 2017 10:59 pm

:-) thanks Nancy! I just saw this. I'm glad you're here and you too :-)

just found this...

http://www.nwherald.com/2017/06/30/stra ... y/aht3hjd/
Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » Jul 17, 2017 12:03 am

stuff... it works best when you work it

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2017/07/10/2 ... g-alcohol/
Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » Jul 17, 2017 3:26 am

Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » Jul 28, 2017 6:04 pm

from a few years back. I don't remember if I shared it here already. aloha

Dangerous Times

I just had an amazing image. Imagine an AA Mt. Rushmore. Etched into the side of a mountain, the faces of Bill, Dr. Bob, Ebby and Dr. Silkworth.  Then, I imagined the film, “North By Northwest”.  Cary Grant and another actress  trying to traverse the mountain with ropes and catches. Having the catches keep being pulled out of the rock, plummeting until the next catch caught them. Then upward again, finding new footing, constantly discovering new angles. Cursing the size of noses or falling through the eye piece in glasses worn by Bill. Terrified, adventurous, brave, tired and aching. Finding respite in an earlobe for awhile then continuing, swinging from our for=fathers faces. Not to mention being chased, the disease behind, escaping into safety again and again. The thrill, the angst, the elation, the still. Peace and revelation of Thy will. Treacherous and yielding, intimidated and not-withstanding. Holding one’s tongue and quaking, standing. Perhaps I am exaggerating. The things I’ve passed through, I thought after all this is through, it better be a movie! Otherwise no one would believe it. Surely. The constant nagging, this can’t be the correct way it’s done! When I say that, people say, “well, you have no desire to drink do you? I say’ “No”. “You are achieving things you never thought possible aren’t  you”? Yes, “I say. Then stop you’re worrying, then. If no-one else’s sobriety is like that, then set a precedent. Then I approach the face of one who was never President, a forefather still a history maker a friend. My sobriety doesn’t need to “look like anyone else’s . The important thing is that I am here and now, and one day at a time, remain sober I will. A stony face grins and shakes his head, “This one, We knew she would be a problem! “ Well, complicated as it my sobriety has been, it’s definitely better then being dead!”
Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » Aug 15, 2017 4:39 am

Preening

I like to think of taking inventory of myself
Is like a bird preening it’s feathers
It is good self care to prevent future disasters
Like crashing to earth when overrun by heavy wings
When soaring at to high of a loftiness
Or perching any particular moment for too long
Getting stuck in it’s branches, and tearing one’s wings.
Preening one’s feathers is insurance policy with maximum dividends
For prized peacocks to spread their wings
In colorful fans, and strut and kick up their heels
Careful not to kick dust in each others’ faces
And curling up at night within angel’s wings
Wrapped as a careful modest blanket with legs curled
And feather pillows cradling us in gentleness
A lovely bird ending to the day.
Tweet Tweet Tweet…
Cindy Wicks

Postby Cindy Wicks » Sep 12, 2017 1:13 am

Cindy Wicks

Previous

Return to Give Me Lithium or Give Me Meth